Too hot. Overheated.

I had to be outside today. It was 99 in the shade. That is a bit more than 37 C for the rest of the world. Basically, hot and humid. The air went out in my truck so I started off too hot. Ran out of cold water. Then the air conditioning wasn't working well if at all. So got way too hot in a hot dark green truck.

I am cooling down now after drinking more than 2 quarts of cold ice tea and water. I just can't stomach the thought of food right now without getting queasy but MFP says I haven't eaten enough today. Is there any way to get MFP to accept a low calorie count or do I just have to not complete my day's diary? I'll eat if I feel up to it later but not right now at normal dinner time.

Replies

• charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    @snickercharlie Thank you for your reply. I did end up eating much later than normal and probably ate too much sodium but salt tasted so good--actually stopped my stomach and other muscle cramps. I also really exceeded my normal water intake by about a gallon before bed. I am still thirsty today so although not drinking as much as yesterday still above my normal water amount. My truck will be going to the shop later this week to get the air conditioner fixed. I should have caught my dehydration and over heating earlier as I have had issues with heat regulation since a child. I am staying indoors today mostly because of needing to get some work finished on the computer and it is stormy out. Thank you again.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    @snickercharlie Thank you for your reply. I did end up eating much later than normal and probably ate too much sodium but salt tasted so good--actually stopped my stomach and other muscle cramps. I also really exceeded my normal water intake by about a gallon before bed. I am still thirsty today so although not drinking as much as yesterday still above my normal water amount. My truck will be going to the shop later this week to get the air conditioner fixed. I should have caught my dehydration and over heating earlier as I have had issues with heat regulation since a child. I am staying indoors today mostly because of needing to get some work finished on the computer and it is stormy out. Thank you again.

You probably sweated out a lot of electrolytes, so the sodium was probably needed, especially since you didn't eat a lot during the day. Drinking a lot of water without replacing the electrolytes possibly caused the cramping.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member

Serious heat suppresses my appetite as well. I like a lot of fruit during this time - either plain or in a smoothie (with protein powder.) When I was in Costa Rico I ate mangoes all day long.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Serious heat suppresses my appetite as well. I like a lot of fruit during this time - either plain or in a smoothie (with protein powder.) When I was in Costa Rico I ate mangoes all day long.

Me too. I love cold watermelon when it’s really hot. Don’t have any right now, and it was really hot and humid here yesterday. 95. I do have cantaloupe though and that was almost as good. The remnants of Cristobal are racing up the Mississippi River Valley, arriving here today. Heavy rain forecasted. The first time in 200 years the remnants of a tropical storm going this far north. 85 F today, 69 F tomorrow. SE Minnesota.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    If this becomes a problem again try mixing a 1:1of sports drink and water sip slowly. It'll add back the electrolytes without overwhelming your stomach with sweet hopefully.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member

Me too. I love cold watermelon when it’s really hot. Don’t have any right now, and it was really hot and humid here yesterday. 95. I do have cantaloupe though and that was almost as good. The remnants of Cristobal are racing up the Mississippi River Valley, arriving here today. Heavy rain forecasted. The first time in 200 years the remnants of a tropical storm going this far north. 85 F today, 69 F tomorrow. SE Minnesota.

I've previously poo-poo'd the idea of "banana nice cream," but yesterday evening before I went out to garden I put some bananas in the freezer and when I was finished blended them up with some peanut butter - this really hit the spot after getting hot gardening!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

I've previously poo-poo'd the idea of "banana nice cream," but yesterday evening before I went out to garden I put some bananas in the freezer and when I was finished blended them up with some peanut butter - this really hit the spot after getting hot gardening!

I usually think of banana ice cream like a lot of alternatives - not the same as real ice cream, but still delicious.