data usage and wifi speed

Options
Has anyone noticed mfp using alot of data? Ive also found it slows my home wifi right down whenever i use it. Anyone else have same issues?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Have u limited data plan and fiber internet so nothing noticable.
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I noticed the data usage increase when I bought a new phone. The version that was on my old phone must not have been able to support the flashy ads because that one did use as much data and there were less ads. It isnt a whole lot more on the new phone but its noticeable if you have a limited plan and are tracking your data closely.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It uses more data than my music-streaming apps, and I probably play about two hours of music or podcasts a day. It's insane how much data MFP uses.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You mean like, let me think, like.... oh, like more than 1.2GB WASTED? In a single day? (more than that USED in TOTAL, but SOME would have been legit!)

Oh.... I think I noticed... :angry:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10795198/do-you-want-to-waste-1-2gb-of-mobile-data-in-just-a-day
  • chrisski34
    chrisski34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I dont use it on data anymore because it uses so much. Ive noticed everytime i go on the app when im on wifi ny home wifi goes really slow and ny teenage son notices it when gaming. His game necer slows when im watching netflix. Crazy that an app like this should have an effect like it does on home wifi
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Not just that, but it sucks the battery from my devices.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    That’s why I pay for premium - the ads slowed my phone right down and it used stupid amounts of data. It works out cheaper to pay for premium than pay for data.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Has anyone actually measured the data reduction? I thought premium still gets the blog spam (and associated ads)
  • chrisski34
    chrisski34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That’s why I pay for premium - the ads slowed my phone right down and it used stupid amounts of data. It works out cheaper to pay for premium than pay for data.[/quos

Shouldnt have to pay for premium to make mfp use less data.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    There definitely is an argument to be made that a reasonable amount of legitimate ads in a well-behaved app don't require more than a gigabyte of data in a less than 4 hours span
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I just checked and I used 4.2 GB of wifi over the course of about a month.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Ehat kind of app settings are you using? Background refresh, notifications, location services and lots of other things? Why not switch them off and see what it does.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I checked mine and it uses 4.8GB a month. Fortunately I have been using it at home and have unlimited data, so is not costing a fortune.

My son had a quick look and its because all the blog videos on the home page are running in the background. Even though I don't watch any, it's still using data. Which is ridiculous and not what I need from this app. Although I find the app so useful otherwise. Surely I should have the choice, to not pay for these.

Thanks for the insight, at times, in the past. Fortunately not for a long while, I've been on my app, while out, using my mobile data. Not now, as it would cost a fortune, will use pen & paper and log once home again. No more checking out the forums, while in hospital waiting rooms.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I don't have the app. I use MFP in the web browser only. Don't know if I'm missing out on anything this way, but data and wi-fi definitely not an issue.
  • yirara
    Options
    Do those stupid videos play automatically on Android? I'd be very annoyed if that would happen on my phone, and would certainly delete the app in that case. Fortunately I need to start them by hand. Hmm.. maybe a privacy/content playing setting somewhere?
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is a setting to turn off autoplay on those videos but they still load. I wished there was a way to hide the vidoes and only see what your friends post in the news feed. I noticed data usage jump up when viewing individuals profiles as it loads everything they ever posted it seems
  • yirara
    Options
    So I get about 25MB of data usage on the app per day. It's steep but not too shocking. That's not even a GB per month. Thus no idea what the difference is between my iOS setup and what you people see.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I prefer the app (wether on my tablet or phone) but both android. I've just had a look through settings and I can't find anything that disables the blog videos. On my home page, they constantly play, no off or pause, that I can find. The only thing I can do is mute them, so don't have constant audio as well.

Not sure how long this has been the case, but recently realised reading this thread.

I'm just glad, its not costing at home, as we have a good wifi package anyway. But thats not right imo.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    I prefer the app (wether on my tablet or phone) but both android. I've just had a look through settings and I can't find anything that disables the blog videos. On my home page, they constantly play, no off or pause, that I can find. The only thing I can do is mute them, so don't have constant audio as well.

Settings > Privacy Center >
    Sharing & privacy settings > Auto-play settings

Not that it matters much, the ads still play automatically on my feed :confused:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    With autoplay off and background data disabled I get both autoplay at times, and background data usage 🤷‍♂️