Reaching my weight loss goal after a thyroidectomy!!

Hello all, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. I wanted to share my story with you in hopes that it inspires you to never give up on yourself.
I made the decision to change my life 15 months ago, that was 6 months post-op having my thyroid removed. I started at 187 lbs and I was at my rock bottom. I was in a very deep depression, hardly got out of bed/couch and my diet was awful. Nothing about it was good and I over-ate nearly every meal. I was on antidepressants, bipolar meds, among other things, vitamins etc. When my doctor pushed more pills at me and told me she suspected I was depressive bipolar because the antidepressant wasn’t working or not enough, that was it. I had enough. No more pills. I immediately stopped taking the meds she prescribed and I promised myself I was going to change my habits. I had never been so unhappy with myself and I was going to change things. I am currently 132 lbs and still striving for a leaner me. I am so close to my body fat percentage goal and nothing is going to stop me because I have never felt so amazing and empowered. Mentally, I feel like a different person, my state of mind has done a 360. Over several months, I just felt better and better about myself mentally and physically. I did a lot of weight lifting with guidance from a friend and walked on the treadmill. I completely changed my diet and eat fruits and veggies like they’re candy. I cut way down on breads, pastas, refined sugars, candy, fruit juice, alcohol, etc. If I do have a snack, I reach for a protein snack or fruit. Your body can do amazing things if you just believe in yourself and make the decision to go for it. One of the greatest feelings out there is discovering what your body can do if you push yourself. The human body is incredible. I was convinced I was doomed to live a miserable life forever unhappy with my body because I didn’t have a thyroid anymore. So many people out there struggle due to their thyroid issues and I’m here to tell you it’s very possible to lose weight if you adopt the right habits. Don’t ever give up on yourself, you will be SO happy you made the decision to change your life!

(The only purpose of this post is to motivate and inspire anyone who needs it. I am not advising anyone to stop taking any medications your doctors have prescribed. That is a decision I made for myself.)

Beefycakes9110

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    So happy to hear your story! I hope it inspires others!

A prescription for thyroid medication sent me on my own journey. I couldn’t believe how giant the pharmacy’s pamphlet was, and it was all warnings. For once, and I still don’t know why, I sat down and read the thing. I was horrified it had come down to that, and vowed to change then and there.

Mucho applause to you!!!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    I so needed to hear this today. I have hypothyroidism and have been steadily gaining weight since my diagnosis and have been extremely depressed about it.

Your progress is amazing and it gives me hope. I had my moment today - I have to do this - for me. No one else can. Hopefully I'll be back in a year posting my success story.

I'm 5'4" and currently sitting at 216 lbs. :disappointed: My goal weight is 145lbs.

Thanks for the much needed insipriation today!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!