Body recomp

Options
Silly question but if i am eating at my maintenance calories (around 2000) in order to stay the same weight but lose body fat.... if i burn more than that in a day will this put me in a deficit and in turn will i lose weight (which i dont want to do) ?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how body comp works, but wouldn't you eat at maintenance plus eating back your exercise calories?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Silly question but if i am eating at my maintenance calories (around 2000) in order to stay the same weight but lose body fat.... if i burn more than that in a day will this put me in a deficit and in turn will i lose weight (which i dont want to do) ?

Yes. If you do more exercise than you figured into your maintenance calories, it will put you into a deficit.

If it's just a little bit, I wouldn't worry about it, because you probably occasionally eat a little more than you realize and it will typically even itself out over time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your weight maintenance calorie amount varies day by day in line with your activity and exercise.

It's your choice if you want to average that out over a more extended period of time (TDEE method which includes an approximate estimate of your average exercise) or the MyFitnessPal method which estimates exercise burns on the day.

Whichever method you choose exercise is part of your body's energy needs.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Track for two-six weeks and see what happens? There's a great thread pinned about working out your maintenance calories based on past losses, if you have that data? If you know that you're correct with budgeting maintenance calories, then yes, if you actually burn more than that you will be losing weight, but if you are off about your maintenance calories, or tracking inaccuratly then you might maintain or gain. I don't think there's really any way except to try and see.