Need one!

I have:
ground turkey
shredded lettuce
taco seasoning (for the turkey)
tostada bowls/ whole wheat flour tortillas
tomatoes
salsa

BUT I feel I need something creamy in my salad!
I bought avocados but they're not ripe :(
And I don't have sour cream (and I am broke).

Would ranch taste weird? I have fat free ranch with only 10 calories per tbsp, but it is loaded with sodium...

Replies

• jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    nope it wont taste weird i use ranch in it when i do not have sour cream love love taco salad i ate it for weeks for lunchs lol

hate when i get avocado and its not ripe and i am ready for it hahahaha
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Do you have plain yogurt? Greek is best, but any plain yogurt would work! :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i do this all the time! can't help you with something creamy, but it's one of my favorite dinners. i'm guessing you don't have black beans around, but those are creamy in your mouth. Do you have greek yogurt? maybe that would work as sour cream?
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would have never thought of having a 'taco' salad until I joined mfp. Communities all over the world eat such interesting things. : )
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I actually use spicy ranch in it but my husband has used regular ranch. Next time with the seasoning, for less sodium- use ground cumin.
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have done lowfat ranch and also plain yogurt and both are good
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I always put refried beans in mine, but that's also quite a bit of sodium. This past week when I had one, I cut up a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, that kinda melted over the hot meat.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options

YES. Thank you!!!!!
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    (light) ranch dressing is excellent on taco salads even with some salsa... a good substitute for sour cream is plain Greek yogurt (high in protein and low in sugars and tastes great too)
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    i do this all the time! can't help you with something creamy, but it's one of my favorite dinners. i'm guessing you don't have black beans around, but those are creamy in your mouth. Do you have greek yogurt? maybe that would work as sour cream?

I do have black beans! Great idea, thanks!
  • momof6monkees
    Options
    my taco salad (which I don't use the tortillas or tostado bowls) consists of lettuce, ground beef (or turkey), ranch, tomatoes, taco seasoning, cheese and taco sauce :) Enjoy!