Suggestions for at home work out

Options
I have 2 small children and the best way for me to exercise is to do it at home, but I can't seem to find a workout DVD that I can stick with and keeps my interest! I really don't like working out, but need to tone! I would like something fun, but it can't cost a lot because we are on a budget!
So all in all any suggestions for at home work outs would be great! :) THanks

Replies

• bmccrory2
    bmccrory2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't have any ideas other than I have read that Jillian 30 day shred is great!!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    you can go on you tube.. type in excercises for at home... u can do some of them.. they are pretty cool!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like the Leslie Sanson Walk at Home videos, they are really cheap like 10 bucks at Walmart and easy to do. Also, 30 day shred by jillian michaels is really popular and also about 10 bucks at Walmart. Other types of home activities are to do crunches/pushups/lunges, etc, during commericial breaks while watching your fav tv shows. Also, dancing and since you have children you can get them dancing too!

Oh, sparkpeople.com has some videos on youtube...and you can also check out exercisetv.tv.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Just have fun with it. Crank up the music and dance:) I"m sure the kids would love joining in and you can add some light hand weights to for strength training too. Jogging in place is a great calorie burner too. Good luck:)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Zumba's been the only workout that's kept me interested for longer than a couple of months, if you use the workouts on youtube you never get bored with it.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I started with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, then did Ripped in 30. Now i have moved up to longer workouts, but it was a nice way to ease into it. It was easier to start with something where I saw a difference. I lost so many inches doing the 30 Day Shred.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Depending on the level of intensity you want depends on which videos are going to be good for you. If you are looking for something that will give you great results and push you then I'd say go to Wal-Mart or Amazon.com and order any of the Jillian Michael's workout videos. That is all I have done since I started MFP 11 months ago and my body looks better than it did in high school now! My favorites are 30 Day Shred, Burn Fat Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones and Ripped in 30 (in that order). They are all only $10 each (probably less online) and are the most effective workouts. 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 are 25 minute workouts (3 levels in 30 Day Shred and 4 levels in Ripped in 30) and the other two are only one workout but 45 minutes long. You just need a set of 3 or 5 lb weights.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a ton of videos all under $10 at Target or Walmart. If you are unsure of what you might like and you have Comcast, they have a lot of stuff on demand.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    kickbox yoga fusion, with trainer Patricia Moreno totally rocks!!! I lost 25 pounds using this dvd. you can purchase it on gaiam.com.
  • chgamlin
    Options
    Kathy Smith (oldies but goodies) always kept it fun, kept my attention, If you have cable you may also want to see if you have any exercise shows "On Demand". Love that on Verizon Fios since I can do different shows/different trainers/focus on different exercises (strength, cardio, pilates,etc.), times are anywhere from 10-60 minutes so I can always fit something in, and the variety keeps things interesting. Best of luck!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    oh and its worth saying that if you have On Demand from Verizon Fios that some of the Jillian Michael's workouts are available for free... not sure about other On Demand providers though
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    Options
    I'll have to say that Hulu is awesome and free!! One of the series I enjoy (though I wish they wore more clothing, but I've been told I'm a prude...definitely don't let your kids watch this!!) is Envy Girls. Hulu also has a lot of yoga, pilates, ExerciseTV....It's a good resource.

YouTube is another good resource as well. There are a LOT of killer exercises on there that are not for the weak at heart. You could troll around youtube and make a play list of different moves so they play back to back.

Good luck! I know that working out with one kid around is a difficult task, I couldn't imagine two!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Zumba's been the only workout that's kept me interested for longer than a couple of months, if you use the workouts on youtube you never get bored with it.

^^^SAME!

and then save up, and get zumba for the wii. now, if you don't have the wii, you'll be saving a little longer...
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    depends on your desired challenge =3

bodyrock.tv is pretty intense, Zusanna does work outs from 1/2 hour in length to 10 minutes, but it's all fast paced and exhausting. she does interval training with a timer.

otherwise, how about circuit training? find some exercises you can do without dumbbells, etc and combine them into a 20 minute work out.
    ex, on arm day, I do dips with a bed frame, push ups, and swimmer's lifts (youtube) at max reps. I do one exercise for 30 seconds, rest 10-15 seconds, then do the next exercise for 30 seconds. you would use an interval timer, either $20 on bodyrock.tv or http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html for an online one. the key thing with interval training, or circuit training, form is your best friend, and try to beat your scores the next time.

if you aren't sore tomorrow, then you didn't do it hard enough!!

message me if I confused you, and/or are interested in it. I just started, but I can help if you're interested =3
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA! yoga booty ballet isgood too.
  • Malissa8126
    Options
    Thanks I have heard Zumba is fun! I do have a Wii so I will have to save up and get it! But I will try it out on Youtube first!
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SimplyLiving21
    Options
    I love the Leslie Sansone Walk Slim dvds. My kids always like to join in with me too! I always feel more energized after doing them and not completely exhausted.