Grrr...plateau and calories

Options
So I used to have my calorie goal set at 1200. It was working well for me. I was loosing 1 to 2 lbs per week for a while. I started to hit a plateau so I upped my calories a bit to 1400. Still doing the same amount of exercise some times more. Now I"m gaining weight! I don't understand it at all. Over the last few week or so I've put on almost 4 lbs. I really don't think it's muscle or water retention so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Should I take my calories back down again?

Replies

• bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing exactly the same thing. I'm going on week 4 of it. I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm at a total loss. :(
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and how active are you?
  • dawnthomas5
    Options
    Are you doing the same workout routine that you started with? If so your body may be getting too used to your routine. You need to switch it up and do different activities so your body has to keep guessing. The same routine that may have burned 500 calories when you first started and weren't used to working out won't burn the same amount of calories now that you've lost weight.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    So I used to have my calorie goal set at 1200. It was working well for me. I was loosing 1 to 2 lbs per week for a while. I started to hit a plateau so I upped my calories a bit to 1400. Still doing the same amount of exercise some times more. Now I"m gaining weight! I don't understand it at all. Over the last few week or so I've put on almost 4 lbs. I really don't think it's muscle or water retention so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Should I take my calories back down again?

The opposite. Your probably aren't eating enough. The closer you get to goal weight, the more calories you need to eat to fuel your body properly. You don't have as much excess fat as you used to so your body doesn't have that reserve to burn for energy. Make sure you are eating all - or, at least, most - your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I"ve plateaud too.....it's discouraging....but I know that if I stick with it the tides WILL turn!!!