Exercising for over 60

Options
I need some help with exercising I’m 62 and weigh 195 I’m not motivated like I use to be I was on here five years ago and did good but since this virus I don’t want to do anything I’m 5’2 suggestions please

Replies

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Walk and stretch. There are videos on line for stretching, yoga, etc. You don't need to do the long ones at first- even 5-10 minutes of stretching will help you with flexibility. Walking daily is very good exercise to get you started.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 and and @SnifterPug always keep me inspired! I'm 59.

I go through phases. Sometimes I'm energetic and I want to do everything. Other times, I'm tired and want to rest. I try to do something active every day at varying levels. A good mantra is "what active thing can I do right now?" If you are standing and moving, it counts! (Examples: Sweep the patio. Walk around the block. It doesn't need to involve spandex!)

90% of weight control is controlling what you consume. It helps to have activities that take up your time and focus. These can be church groups, book clubs, you name it.

Best of luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I need some help with exercising I’m 62 and weigh 195 I’m not motivated like I use to be I was on here five years ago and did good but since this virus I don’t want to do anything I’m 5’2 suggestions please
    Please state...
    1. Training history.
    2. Lay off time if any.
    3. Your goals short and long term.
    4. Equipment you have available.
    5. Time available to train.

I highly suggest resistance training if you are not already.
    It is especially beneficial to someone of advanced age in preventing loss of LBM, increasing bone density, lower risk of disease, improving quality of life as well as extending it.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and have been a walker and hiker most of my life. Started lifting when I was 58. I wish I had started sooner. I recommend adding lifting in the future as part of your regimen.

There's a great book titled "The Barbell Prescription" by Jonathon Sullivan and Andy Baker. Specifically written for older people. I found it informative and inspirational.
    https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Prescription-Strength-Training-After/dp/0982522770

Sullivan also has a YouTube channel with lots of good info.
    https://www.youtube.com/greysteel
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well, I'm 69 and I do many of the same exercises I did at 29 or 39 or 49....
    Honestly, exercise is exercise. Your age doesn't really matter except in terms of recovery. It is still all about appropriate volume and load management. There are tons of resources here and other places.

This. Some of the most active dudes in the local cycling club are in their late 60's, 70's , 80's. One of our members just turned 90.

Taking adequate recovery time does become much more important.