Is it ok to post a "Smoking Cessation" support thread?

Options
Part of my commitment to fitness is quitting smoking, and I would love to connect with others who are ditching the cigs!

I'm on Day 1, using 21mg patch and my state's Quit Line.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking definitely helps with fitness levels! Good luck on your journey.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Sharing your post with a friend. 💖
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm here for it. Quitting cold turkey within the next few days (tomorrow is the plan, today was a failed one) but I believe that quitting smoking can definitely help me reach my fitness goals.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I quit last year, it's sooooooo worth it!

I tried to quit in January '19, but stumbled after 2 weeks when a friend offered me one in February-- I caved, and had 2, but realized it wasn't what I wanted anymore. I quit cold turkey, and it was hard, but I stopped wanting any by October. It's possible!!! I smoked for 13 years (NOT including 2 years as a dumb kid).
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I "quit" about 3 weeks ago. However, every time a friend comes over who smokes I "cheat" - this has happened 3 times so far. It's discouraging because I've found that I really don't need or even crave them anymore unless someone is smoking them right in front of me. Then I want one just because.
  • Andia15
    Andia15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I quit May 2018 and never looked back. Was one of the best things I've even done for myself. You can do it, you just need to want it bad enough! Good luck!
  • FoolishJoy
    FoolishJoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the encouragement!

Update: I just woke up on Day 7 without a smoke, still using the patch. Going strong!
  • FoolishJoy
    Options
    I "quit" about 3 weeks ago. However, every time a friend comes over who smokes I "cheat" - this has happened 3 times so far. It's discouraging because I've found that I really don't need or even crave them anymore unless someone is smoking them right in front of me. Then I want one just because.

That was the hardest part of trying to quit: my apartment complex is fully non-smoking so everyone congregates on the street and it becomes a social hour kind of thing. Thankfully I've had new friends from church and MFP to socialize with and distract me through the rough patches.
  • FoolishJoy
    Options
    Update:

Day 11 on thr patch, not even a single puff.

I think shifting my mind into a fitness-focused pattern has been a major help. I'm spending so much time pre-planning my meals and working out that I don't even think about smoking; it's like it's not even a blip on this new life I'm living. I'm happy with the way things are progressing!
  • SamanthaRoadTo58kg
    SamanthaRoadTo58kg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to quit, but I'm not succeeding. I live with 4 smokers and I smoke 30 a day. It's impossible.