Junkfood diaries

Options
Hi I'm craving for junkfood.. Any motivation how to resist ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Replies

• Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Is there a healthier option you can have instead? I find going for a walk outside usually helps me. When I have a craving Iโ€™m struggling to resist I try to just shag out of the house so Iโ€™m not near food
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Eat some?

It's all about portion control. I could quite happily wolf down a 2,000 calorie pizza, but I also enjoy one for 400 calories. It satisfies that pizza craving and fits into my calorie allowance. Sometimes we crave that familiar taste rather than that familiar quantity - explore your options, I'm sure you can find a way to have a little of what you want, without derailing your diet plan.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Take a shower, brush your teeth, and go for a walk. Brushing your teeth as great mouth activity that can distract/redirect your desire for snacks, showers just feel good and can reset whatever it was your brain wanted to do, and walking, well, walking is mentally and physically fantastic and doesn't involve snacks.

YOU CAN BEAT THAT CRAVING! I believe in you, others on here believe in you, you just need to believe in you and act on your goals, not your cravings.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm craving for junkfood.. Any motivation how to resist ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Do you have calories left? If so, have some junk food. I eat a treat every day - ice cream, pretzels, cookies, etc. But I eat a measured portion and make sure it fits in my calories. I still eat a healthy diet throughout the day - eating a treat doesn't negate the rest of my day.

Are you aiming for an aggressive rate of weight loss? If so, this is one reason why that usually backfires. Your body is begging for quick calories because that's what it needs.

If you are eating foods you like and are eating an appropriate amount of calories, cravings are often just boredom or habit. Try making yourself a cup of tea or having a diet soda. Start a book. Play a video game on your phone. Take a walk. At the end of the day if ivevrun out of calories, I find a cup of mint tea and a square of dark chocolate plus doing something that occupies my mind can hit the spot.

And sometimes I just serve myself some icecream, go over my calories for the day, chalk it up to not being perfect, and make sure I plan better for tomorrow :smile:
  • rehand1978
    rehand1978 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had trouble controlling my cravings. I'll let myself have a small treat but then it leads to more and pretty soon I'm eating anything I can find to satisfy my craving. Any suggestions for problems like this. I'll do good for a few days on a new diet but as soon as I let myself eat one treat it blows up and I've gained back anything I may have lost - which is usually not much
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I've had trouble controlling my cravings. I'll let myself have a small treat but then it leads to more and pretty soon I'm eating anything I can find to satisfy my craving. Any suggestions for problems like this. I'll do good for a few days on a new diet but as soon as I let myself eat one treat it blows up and I've gained back anything I may have lost - which is usually not much

Is this any treat? I can't control myself with potato chips, so when I'm struggling I don't keep them in the house. I can have a small bowl of ice cream or pretzels no problem though.

When I have an after dinner snack, I log my one serving of ice cream. Then I put the bowl on the scale, scoop in my serving, put the tub away, walk over to the couch and eat. If I want more but don't have the calories I make myself a cup of tea or brush my teeth.

It's also useful to figure out why. Your body isn't literally asking for a bag of Doritos :smile: It's often stress eating or boredom or habit. Try asking yourself why you want more, make note of it, then try to busy your brain with something else. If you can't control your impulses, many people find therapy can help. It's really easy to get locked into destructive thought patterns, and many of us need a little help to shut that down sometimes.
  • jnhmama
    jnhmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Omg, this is so me!
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Is this any treat? I can't control myself with potato chips, so when I'm struggling I don't keep them in the house. I can have a small bowl of ice cream or pretzels no problem though.

What she said!

There are some "treats" that I simply cannot exercise portion control with, because once I have a little, I have to finish all of it. I can't help myself. Typically these are things I used to binge in childhood.

There are other "treats" that I also enjoy, but don't hold quite the same emotional trigger. I'm selective with what food I keep in the house...