New Here, Gaining Instead of Losing!

Options
Hi all -

I started using the app and exercising last week. I have cut my calorie intake significantly, but still go a little over most days. I lost three pounds in three days, and then started gaining, even though my calorie intake went down day by day. Now I am a pound over my starting weight!!! Not only that but I found myself physically drained today and decided to take in a few more calories than I have been. Can anyone help me understand what is going on here!? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

If you set your diary to public, that will enable people to see what you have been doing and make suggestions.

Thanks!
  • missSelektron
    Options
    Done, thanks!
  • macylane4
    Options
    Well my advice....like today (monday) you had chinese food from a restaurant...really bad for you! It has crazy amounts of sodium, and a lot of sodium will cause you to gain water weight! You should be eating more "clean" foods! Like eat prepared food where you can put your own amount of butter or item like that in! Try and stay away from high sodium foods! Also, did you just have a baby? I see in your pic you have a little one, could that maybe be the reason for the fluctuation? I would just try to at least do 30 min a day of exercise, and make your own foods!!!
    Good luck, and it will come off if you keep on track!!!
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a long way from being an expert, but something you might want to do is to change your food settings to track sodium. It's possible that you are having more than you realise (from looking at what you are eating) and if this is so, cutting it down is going to help. Many people have noted that high sodium levels in the diet causes the body to retain water.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you're retaining water due to sodium intake - consider adding sodium to your diary and see how it's falling every day. If you're over, it's just water retention and easily corrected. My hunch is that it just might be that. Weight fluctuates a lot over the week, so if it's bothering you; I might also suggest weighing once a week (if you're weighing every day).

Also, are you nursing? I'd assume so since you're on prenatals. If you are, be sure to add calories for breastfeeding (I don't recall seeing that in your diary). If you don't you run the risk of a too-low calorie intake and your supply drying up.

Good luck!
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Don't let your caloric intake go down! You actually need to eat your calories suggested by mfp, if you have them set right AND eat back your exercise calories..to lose weight.
    Watch your sodium intake....That will just make you retain water like crazy...
    Eat more of your own prepared foods and fresh veggies/fruit...Lots of protein to lose the pounds too....
  • missSelektron
    Options
    My baby is six months old and I very recently weaned so I wondered if that could be affecting things. Also, I can almost guarantee I am getting way too much sodium...I sorta have a salt problem. Generally I make my own meals and only eat free range meat, eggs and dairy. I will have to work on the sodium intake! Thank you all!
  • mghane
    mghane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! From what it looks like your calories are usually either over your daily limit (I've only looked at about the past week), or significantly under. What I would try and do is plan your meals ahead of time to avoid going over (because the calorie limit sets you at a specific deficit necessary to lose weight)... continue the working out, and make sure you eat enough as well. Being way under your calorie limit for the day can confuse your body into thinking it's not getting the necessary amount to stay healthy (and rebuild especially after a workout) and so it will just store whatever food it does get. Try to plan meals such that they are not too far apart from each other in terms of time of day, and that they use up most of your daily calorie limit (again, without going over if possible). Also, the time of day you eat your biggest meal could also play a role in you feeling drained. The best thing to do is eat a big breakfast, a small snack (apple or something), medium size lunch (with good protein), a small snack, and a light dinner. It also looks like you're breast feeding... (milk and prenatal vitamins)... that may play a bit of a role in your feeling of lethargy.

I'm in no way a professional though. The best thought would be to talk to your doctor about the best way to determine your daily calorie limits in the healthiest way possible.
  • macylane4
    Options
    also the wine is no good when you are trying to lose weight! It slows the metabolism, and has a lot of sugar!!! I drink water...maybe milk once in awhile!! I never did like alcohol much, but it definatly will help keep weight on you!!
    My friend just had a baby, and her doctor told her everytime she breast feeds it burns 500 calories!!