Calculating body fat percentage help

Options
I am trying to calculate how many more pounds I need to loose to get to my initial goal of 24% body fat. I am currently at 27% body fat 166 pounds, 5”8 female. Eventually I want to get to 15 to 19% body fat but as of right now just to 24%. Math isn’t my strong subject. Help ?

Replies

• Jumpropegirl5467
    Jumpropegirl5467 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Without knowing how much weight you lose will be muscle and how much fat, nobody will be able to tell you this. From some of your other posts, your deficit is pretty aggressive . . . that means you may be losing more muscle than necessary and you will therefore potentially have a higher body fat at a certain weight than someone who loses weight while focusing on retaining muscle. We also don't know what your resistance training looks like.

If you want to have less body fat, steps to take include a reasonable deficit, ensuring you get enough protein, and having a decent resistance training program.

Noted. I have a pretty decent resistance training routine and I am working on eating more calories that way I don’t loose muscle in the process. Thank you.
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    15 to 18 % BF is for die hards. If you wanna be a bikini model or fitness model you can aim for that but for most women this is not something you can keep up all year round.
    I'm at 18 % now but I'm lean build.....I've the right genes and don't have to do much to stay that way. Lucky.....but for most females 21 % is okay
    Its not easy to measure your BF.....but the most easiest, reliable and cheapest way is to use this

https://www.bodyandfit.com/en-gb/Products/Clothing-&-Accessories/Sport-Accessories/Fat-Percentage-Meter/Fat-Percentage-Meter/p/p_03142
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Calculating your bodyfat % based on how much weight you have to lose usually doesn't work out all that accurately. It all depends on your body composition when you get to goal. I would focus on progressive resistance training (lifting if you have the equipment), adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goalweight) and not losing too aggressively to help retain muscle as you lose.

Just to give you a basic idea though, I am around your height and I have been different bodyfat% at around 130-135lbs depending on how much muscle I have. Also as mentioned 15-19% is really lean for a female and for many it is difficult to maintain. How do you know you want to get there? Do you have an idea of your goal physique?

• Jumpropegirl5467
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Calculating your bodyfat % based on how much weight you have to lose usually doesn't work out all that accurately. It all depends on your body composition when you get to goal. I would focus on progressive resistance training (lifting if you have the equipment), adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goalweight) and not losing too aggressively to help retain muscle as you lose.

Just to give you a basic idea though, I am around your height and I have been different bodyfat% at around 130-135lbs depending on how much muscle I have. Also as mentioned 15-19% is really lean for a female and for many it is difficult to maintain. How do you know you want to get there? Do you have an idea of your goal physique?

I know for sure I want to get to 132 which has been my goal weight since day one. I went from 186 to my current 166 and have calculated my percentage of body fat to 27%. I want to get to a lean physique which is what I’ve always wanted for myself. Mostly to show abs. I do have a weightlifting routine which I do 6 days a week and have been doing for 2 months.
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I know for sure I want to get to 132 which has been my goal weight since day one. I went from 186 to my current 166 and have calculated my percentage of body fat to 27%. I want to get to a lean physique which is what I’ve always wanted for myself. Mostly to show abs. I do have a weightlifting routine which I do 6 days a week and have been doing for 2 months.
    [/quote]

I'm gonna tell you 15 to 18 % is a body fat percentage for athletes

Category Percentage
    Essential fat10-13%
    Athletes14-20%
    Fitness21-24%
    Acceptable25-31%
    Obesity 32% and up

You can try but it's for most not realistic and not easy to maintain unless you're sporty spice 24h a day, 7 days a week ,265 days a year.......For women its not easy to get visible abs.
    Abs are not gonna make you happier and the only one who sees it most of the time is you ........
    😘
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I am about 132 in my profile photo (I am 5'7") however I am about the same weight now but not nearly as lean and cut (since having a baby). So just be prepared if you get to goal and aren't where you want to be you can maintain and recomp to work on your body composition. Abs are a result of low bodyfat but also muscle base and genetics. You can get there, just be patient and consistent.
  • Jumpropegirl5467
    Options

I am about 132 in my profile photo (I am 5'7") however I am about the same weight now but not nearly as lean and cut (since having a baby). So just be prepared if you get to goal and aren't where you want to be you can maintain and recomp to work on your body composition. Abs are a result of low bodyfat but also muscle base and genetics. You can get there, just be patient and consistent.

Thank you I will be 🙏🏽

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Simple calc for your desires.

Current weight and BF%.
    Goal BF%.

What that goal weight will be.

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ibw/