Working nights and now I can't fall asleep

Options
I usually work at night from 4 PM-Midnight, sometimes 1 AM, and now every time the weekend rolls around, or I have a day off any day during the week, I'm still staying up til the same time I would normally work. I know to help weight loss, you're supposed to sleep at least 7 hours a night, but with my 3 year old I end up waking up earlier than I should to take care of her so I lose out on sleep because I'm going to bed so late.

Does anyone else have this problem or have suggestions on how to fall asleep earlier the nights I'm not working? Any advice would be awesome. :)

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    do you actually feel like you need more sleep, or are you just worried because of what you think youre supposed to get?
    In an ideal world, we'd all get 7 o 8 hours a night, but many many people dont manage it consistently throughout life because of work and family commitments, and its not a big deal. You learn to adapt.

If you do feel like you really need extra, then maybe a melatonin supplement may help?
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If you have a day off and can't sleep why not exercise? It's the perfect time to also because after a hard session you should be ready to go to bed :)

Just don't overdo it, you need to rest too!
  • Ballard12
    Options
    When I work a night shift then have to double back in the morning I tend to take Tylenol PM or Melatonin. Melatonin is a natural hormone made by your body's pineal (pih-knee-uhl) gland. This is a pea-sized gland located just above the middle of the brain. During the day the pineal is inactive. When the sun goes down and darkness occurs, the pineal is "turned on" by the SCN and begins to actively produce melatonin, which is released into the blood. Usually, this occurs around 9 pm. As a result, melatonin levels in the blood rise sharply and you begin to feel less alert. Sleep becomes more inviting. Melatonin levels in the blood stay elevated for about 12 hours - all through the night - before the light of a new day when they fall back to low daytime levels by about 9 am. Daytime levels of melatonin are barely detectable.
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    When I work a night shift then have to double back in the morning I tend to take Tylenol PM or Melatonin. Melatonin is a natural hormone made by your body's pineal (pih-knee-uhl) gland. This is a pea-sized gland located just above the middle of the brain. During the day the pineal is inactive. When the sun goes down and darkness occurs, the pineal is "turned on" by the SCN and begins to actively produce melatonin, which is released into the blood. Usually, this occurs around 9 pm. As a result, melatonin levels in the blood rise sharply and you begin to feel less alert. Sleep becomes more inviting. Melatonin levels in the blood stay elevated for about 12 hours - all through the night - before the light of a new day when they fall back to low daytime levels by about 9 am. Daytime levels of melatonin are barely detectable.

I have done the exact same thing. I just used advil PM sometimes a 1/2 of pill was enough to make me sleep.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Night worker for over 30 years, Tylenol PM has always worked will try the melatonin