Did weight loss lower your cholesterol?

Options
Just got some lab results that show I need to work on my cholesterol levels. :#
I know weight loss/diet and exercise is suggested to handle this but my dr also said that depending on genetics it may not really make a difference.
Of course, I'm here because I was already trying to lose weight so now I'm curious about others experience - did your cholesterol levels drop with weight loss? How much weight did you lose before you saw an improvement?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My cholesterol was not really high before I started losing weight, but after I lost 40 pounds, it dropped by around 30-40 points.

What your doc says about genetics can be true as well. My sister is a normal weight, eats a healthy diet, and runs marathons. She has high cholesterol and there doesn't seem to be anything she can do about it.

But, for many people, losing weight does help quite a bit. Good luck!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes. I am turning 30 in a couple of weeks, and back in August my total cholesterol was above 300. My ratios were good, but my total cholesterol was really scary. My dad died young and so did his brother.

After getting diet and exercise in order, my levels were well within normal in 2-3 months.

Edit: It does also depend on genetics and other factors, my doctor did mention that my results indicate my levels were very related to diet and exercise.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Losing weight helped me some. I saw the biggest change switching to a low fat (particularly low saturated fat) diet. I’m sure the exercise played a role as well-but that was consistent with both weight loss alone and the low fat diet (but new with the weight loss).

Since I can control mine with diet-that’s what I do.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol has never been bad, overweight or not. My sister is super petite and hers is high. She cannot lose weight without dropping into an unhealthy BMI. Our mother lost 80lb, ate zero cholestrol, and barely 1000 calories a day for a year. Her cholesterol did not go down one point. For some people it's just the luck of the genetic lottery. Mom got on medication which controls her cholesterol, and started eating a sane amount again, this was years ago.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    After a 50# weight loss, my LDL # lowered a bit but not a lot (still high). My HDL was a bit better, though, and triglycerides were quite a bit better.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Trying to eat a low "bad" cholesterol and high "good" cholesterol diet with high fiber did NOTHING. 6 months I tried it and zero improvement.

Weight loss barely touched it.

However, because I lost weight I was able to move more easily and exercise made the biggest impact.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not for me, no. My BMI is around 20-21 and my cholesterol is still high. Both of my parents have high cholesterol, are at normal weights, and have a pretty balanced and nutritious diet. I guess it just runs in my family.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    This thread's depressing lol

High cholesterol is why I'm here on MFP too. My doc's giving me til September (and a third set bloodwork in the span of 18 months) before deciding whether lifelong medication is needed 😭

She too essentially said my genetics regarding this matter may just suck *kitten*
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    When I was obese my cholesterol was perfectly fine and stayed that way after reaching my goal weight and starting regular exercise for the first time in my life, so clearly genetics at work there. My BF had high cholesterol and his did improve once he began exercising and has stayed at normal levels now that he’s a runner even though he’s still technically obese, so he had a definite improvement by losing 20 lbs and becoming a regular exerciser.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Mine was never high but regular exercise and losing a few pounds did drop my cholesterol numbers. My husband has high cholesterol no matter what, even with weight loss. However it is lower after losing weight but still considered high.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Mine dropped dramatically with weight loss, high to normal. But I don't think I have genetic hypercholesterolemia, based on family history.

I started out at 183/5'5" (BMI 30.4). By the time I'd lost maybe 30 pounds, it was down noticeably.

By close to goal (BMI 21-22 area), everything was normal. In late 2015, total cholesterol was 176 (previous year 230), triglycerides 82 (prev. 193), HDL 65 (prev. 45), LDL 95 (prev. 146), VLDL 16 (prev. 39), Chol/HDL ratio 2.7 (prev. 5.1). My VLDL at that point actually dropped *below* the normal reference range.

My peak values, earlier on, had been even higher: On one test, tris were 402, total cholesterol 253, LDL 156, ratio 5.9.

I'm may be relevant that I was already active, exercise-wise, and had been for a decade (though that didn't prevent numbers being high, when obese).

It may be relevant that I've long eaten large amounts of veggies, whole grains, healthy MUFAs/PUFAs, and all that recommended stuff (though that didn't prevent numbers being high, when obese, either).

Anecdotally, some few people seem to benefit from increasing veggies, whole grains, MUFAs/PUFAs, maybe even going to fully plant-based; or becoming athletically active . . . though obviously, that wasn't my particular issue. (I've been vegetarian for decades, athletic for over a decade before weight loss.)

Best wishes puzzling it out!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    Significant exercise and significant weight loss and significant change from very very high to normal
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Made no difference to me.

But then my levels were not high to start with so that doesnt really say anything.

As a general comment - for many people losing weight and /or dietary changes can help cholesterol levels.

For others with familial hypercholesterolemia, it doesnt.