Alternate day fasting

Options
Hello! I'm making this post to not only connect with other people doing adf but to share what my first week has been like! So with my fast I finish eating around 7pm and then skip a day of eating and then eat around 7 am the next day so roughly 24hr without eating. And it has been incredibly helpful and easy! My problem with dieting is that I have a hard time stopping when j start so if I dont eat for the day I dont overeat and on my eating days I find that I'm less hungry and not really in a hurry to eat. On my fasting days I dont feel sluggish or all that hungry. I just make sure to drink plenty of water and maybe some coffee! I'm 4 pounds down the first week so I'm pretty excited!

Replies

• kelly4191996
    kelly4191996 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/eat-only-every-other-day-and-lose-weight-2017053111791 here is a link to a study about a 36hr fast! (Yes 36 not 24 I'm sorry haha I wrote that late at night.) But basically you can eat up to 500 cal on fasting days and then up to 125% of your daily calories on non fasting.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/eat-only-every-other-day-and-lose-weight-2017053111791 here is a link to a study about a 36hr fast! (Yes 36 not 24 I'm sorry haha I wrote that late at night.) But basically you can eat up to 500 cal on fasting days and then up to 125% of your daily calories on non fasting.

Are you planning to follow this diet plan for the rest of your life? If not, why not consider a diet plan that you will.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Not healthy. I did this and actually got a warning for even suggesting it. I wouldn't over compliment it. If you want to do a zig zag deficit (some days 500 less, some days 250 less, some days maintence) ect depending on your needs, that would work much better than just not eating a day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sean, the zig-zag approach sounds much more easier to sustain. Eating a bit less during the week to "bank" some extra calories for the weekend is pretty common.

Water weight can fluctuate the first week or two. 4 pounds of fat loss would be crazy aggressive (unsafe).
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

This might be slightly more sustainable (in your first post, you said no food for 36 hours) but for me personally, I would still struggle on 500 calories.

Banking some calories throughout the week to have higher calories at weekends can be helpful for some, but 500 calories is too low for me and I would quickly give up.
  • carpydave47
    carpydave47 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know how long sugars spike upward when starting a alternate day fasting regimen? I know why I just don’t know for how long it will happen. Thanks, Dave~
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know how long sugars spike upward when starting a alternate day fasting regimen? I know why I just don’t know for how long it will happen. Thanks, Dave~

For as long as you continue to do alternate day fasting.