Salt!!!

Options
Can someone please help me at reducing it? Im trying so hard but there's salt in everything!!! Someone show me how to eat properly without all this salt that Im obvious addicted to!!!! I try to stay below 1500MG but i past that very quickly and Im getting discouraged.

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Can someone please help me at reducing it? Im trying so hard but there's salt in everything!!! Someone show me how to eat properly without all this salt that Im obvious addicted to!!!! I try to stay below 1500MG but i past that very quickly and Im getting discouraged.

Eliminate consumption of processed foods i.e. canned foods, fast food, microwave meals. etc.
    Stick to fresh fruits, veges, tree nuts, lean cuts of meat, seafood and drink plenty of water.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options

Eliminate consumption of processed foods i.e. canned foods, fast food, microwave meals. etc.
    Stick to fresh fruits, veges, tree nuts, lean cuts of meat, seafood and drink plenty of water.

exactly.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Same advice as above. Read all labels, buy reduced sodium products whenever possible if you have to eat something canned. Stick to frozen vegetables. Also, use Mrs. Dash for seasoning instead of salt.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    fast food contains alot of salt and processed foods means they are ready made heat and serve foods contain alot of salt too. You can't cut salt completely but they say sea salt is better for you so I switched to using sea salt at home. I usually cook most of my meals so I can control salt.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    fast food contains alot of salt and processed foods means they are ready made heat and serve foods contain alot of salt too. You can't cut salt completely but they say sea salt is better for you so I switched to using sea salt at home. I usually cook most of my meals so I can control salt.

Chemically speaking, sea salt and table salt are identicle. Both composed of Sodium Chloride (NaCl) So in my opinion health wise there is no different. Sea salt just has better textural properties in my opinion.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Though I agree taking processed and fast foods from your diet, clinical evidence doesn't really show excess intake of salt shows no conclusive bad effects. I would not worry about salt intake and look for healthy nutrient rich foods to consume.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posts but... I LOVE SALT!! I have been known to buy it in bulk and just lick it. This is one of my biggest struggles as well. I have eliminated most processed foods but tend to oversalt the good foods... ugh!! Lawry's garlic salt is my weakness.
  • Ronny46
    Options
    Thank you all for all those great suggestions which I will follow. I no longer eat fast foods so that's not a problem, but I do eat occasional chips now and again - My weakness!! damn those chips lol. I am officially getting off the chips. I will start reading labels as well. Why is it that even baked or broiled chicken has a ton of salt it them what the heck!!!!! LOL