6 Days In and I'm Hungry!

Options
It's been awhile since I've attempted to lose weight. I can't remember if this is typical...

I am 6 days in and feeling way more snacky than I have been previous days. Before, I could divert my attention from cravings to something else. Now I just keep thinking about food. Like why tf am I googling "top favorite cereals"? I was snacking on some cherries to help. But it didn't help much. Is this typical at the beginning? Does it get better? I'm eating 1600 calories a day so it should feel reasonable. What are your experiences?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Did you start exercising a lot more?
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Take a look at your macros. Are you getting enough protein? I find that I feel constantly munchy if my protein is too low. I could eat double my allotment of Calories in carbohydrates a day & still feel hungry. Others are more sensitive to their fat intake.

What rate of loss are you attempting & how much total weight do you have to lose? You appear quite slender in your profile photo; is it possible you are trying to lose too quickly, or need to tone up rather than slim down? Are you eating back (at least a portion of) exercise calories?
  • tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Did you start exercising a lot more?

No! I've only been doing light walking since I slightly twisted my ankle last week. But yes, exercise does have a tendency to make me hungry!
  • tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your macros. Are you getting enough protein? I find that I feel constantly munchy if my protein is too low. I could eat double my allotment of Calories in carbohydrates a day & still feel hungry. Others are more sensitive to their fat intake.

What rate of loss are you attempting & how much total weight do you have to lose? You appear quite slender in your profile photo; is it possible you are trying to lose too quickly, or need to tone up rather than slim down? Are you eating back (at least a portion of) exercise calories?

My profile picture is from 3 years ago. It was current when I uploaded, but now its my inspiration. I'm only 10 pounds heavier now, but more fat and less muscle. I'm back on the same macros I had back then, so maybe its the change I'm adjusting to!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    tanyaltrl wrote: »

My profile picture is from 3 years ago. It was current when I uploaded, but now its my inspiration. I'm only 10 pounds heavier now, but more fat and less muscle. I'm back on the same macros I had back then, so maybe its the change I'm adjusting to!

Was 1600 calories the amount you were given when you set your weight loss weekly goal at .5 lbs a week, and are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me I look to swap some sugar and carb calories for more protein and fiber. They give me more satiety per calorie. I also supplement with healthy fats (omega -3) and they also help in that department.
  • laurielocks8638
    laurielocks8638 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to find the first week or two harder as I adjust to eating less and then I stop noticing it.

Sometimes when I feel the need to snack it's actually because I'm thirsty or I need to move around a bit so I try these things first.

Also getting out to exercise in the evenings or brushing teeth after an evening meal really help with reducing the urge to snack at night.

Otherwise you can try and get more carbs nutrients from vegetables rather than bread/potato/pasta as you can have larger portions for same calories.