Working Out, then Exhausted...?

Options
So, since school started, it's been really hard for me to get to the gym. I have classes all the way from 7 am to 3, 4, or 5 in the evening. I'm thinking about going right after school, that way it will be out of the way, but I have a problem...
After I'm done with the gym, I'm exhausted. Not really muscle-ache exhausted, but literally exhausted, as in tired-exhausted. I can barely keep my eyes open, a couple of times I've had to even get my dad to come pick me up from the gym because I couldn't drive home.
I know I've always been like this, even as a little kid, when I was in sports and dance classes. After exercise, I have to sleep. Caffeine helps slightly, but really only enough to keep my eyes open.

This is making it a huge problem to work out, since I can't go in the morning before school (don't want to pass out in class, haha), and after class, I can't fall asleep when I'm supposed to be doing homework or working. I'd go in the evening, but by the time all is said and done, it's 10 pm and I'm tired and need to be going to sleep.

Does anybody know WHY this happens to me? Everybody says they're energized after working out, but I've never had that feeling before. And if you don't know why, do you maybe have some suggestions? I need to get back to the gym without falling asleep! D:

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Are you doing more work than your body can physically handle?
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I'm doing circuit training (mostly strength, with a few cardio machines), and then a little bit of cardio (walking 3.7 or so, at 3.5 incline). My heart rate is usually around 155, which is in my target heart rate.
  • mmstgr
    Options
    and are you going to school full time, working full time, and trying to eat healthy?

because all of that school/work activity can make you tired on it's own
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    and are you going to school full time, working full time, and trying to eat healthy?

because all of that school/work activity can make you tired on it's own

School full time, but work is more of odd jobs I pick up (mostly babysitting and baking/decorating jobs).
    I am usually tired by the end of the day, but I didn't think that exercise could make me THAT exhausted.

And I always got this tired from exercise during summer, when I had no school and only the occasional job.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    have you went to a doctor? i have known a few people including some that trained with me (ladies) that experience the same thing and a few they were not eating properly to fuel their workouts, others were dehydrated and one it was hypothyroidism which they also suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome .. they were perplexed thinking that hey i've been like this for years and they thought nothing of it .. they are fine now however a good trip to the doctor rules out what it is or what it is not and then you can go from there... hope this helped .. good luck to you
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    have you went to a doctor? i have known a few people including some that trained with me (ladies) that experience the same thing and a few they were not eating properly to fuel their workouts, others were dehydrated and one it was hypothyroidism which they also suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome .. they were perplexed thinking that hey i've been like this for years and they thought nothing of it .. they are fine now however a good trip to the doctor rules out what it is or what it is not and then you can go from there... hope this helped .. good luck to you

I would suggest seeing a doctor too. There are probably many reason this could be happening and maybe you can fix it with a change in diet or you may need medication?!?!?
  • mmstgr
    Options
    agree with seeing the doc.
    possibly an iron deficiency?
  • sharonus
    Options
    I have really low iron levels, and if I don't get enough iron in my diet or take my supplement daily, I can fall asleep almost anywhere. I also have found that I need AT LEAST 8 hours of sleep. So, if I think it will take me 30 minutes to fall asleep, I make sure I'm in bed no later than 8.5 hours before my alarm is set to go off.

I agree with the Doctor recommendation. They can easily do some blood tests that may tell you if a deficiency is causing the exhaustion.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This happens with me sometimes being a working mom. When times are hetic, stress can get you down. I would suggest doing a minimum of 3x a week for cardio and 2x a week for strength training. If you could do more, great! If you can't even do a full workout, do a 15 minute workout...at least. I have DVDs that have 10 to 15 minute jumping aerobic type workouts. It may not seem like much, but something is better than nothing. Also if its close to your bed time, do a soothing yoga routine, no greater than 30 minutes. '

Sleep should be 7-8 hours. If your not getting this in very often, that could be part of it. Rest is always good. :yawn:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I'm doing circuit training (mostly strength, with a few cardio machines), and then a little bit of cardio (walking 3.7 or so, at 3.5 incline). My heart rate is usually around 155, which is in my target heart rate.

How's your diet? Your calorie consumption may not be adequate to handle the stress of school and exercise. It honestly might be as simple as eating a little more.
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    Well, I can rule out iron deficiency, since I donate blood, and I'm always WAY above the limit I need to be.
    I usually eat something before I work out, like a banana, maybe some milk. I can't work out if I've just had something to eat, though, it makes me feel sick.
    I get around 1400 calories a day, sometimes 1500, and I eat all my exercise calories back.
    I always get 6-8 hours of sleep per night, usually around 7, though. I'm not overly tired during the day, it's only after working out.

The hypothyrodism is sounding pretty accurate right now, considering I have all the other symptoms.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    you are eating high in sugar low in protein... just sayin...
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    you are eating high in sugar low in protein... just sayin...

That's been the past few weeks, when I haven't been working out. When I was working out, about 4-5 weeks ago, I was hitting minimum 70 grams of protein a day, and was doing my normal sugar levels (fruit, vegetables, and milk sugars).
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You don't mention your age, but if you are still in your teens, 7-8 hours of sleep is NOT enough! I think a visit to the Dr. is in order to rule out underlying medical problems and to discuss your diet. Just a thought from a grandma.
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    You don't mention your age, but if you are still in your teens, 7-8 hours of sleep is NOT enough! I think a visit to the Dr. is in order to rule out underlying medical problems and to discuss your diet. Just a thought from a grandma.
    I'm 19, so technically still a teenager, I guess, lol.
    7-8 hours is my absolute max, I literally can't do it any other way. I spend a good 5-6 hours a night doing schoolwork, and then if I have a job to do, I'll spend 2-3 hours on that.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I think your body is in transition. You recently added new stressors to your life. Give it a little more time. Keep eating right and exercising, and school and all of that. Your body will adjust, likely favorably, to the increased workload on it. Think if you had just gotten a job loading 100lb hay bales onto a truck, you would be tired too. But you would get used to it if you kept doing it.
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wanted to chime in, because I'm 14 years older than you and I have also had issues with gym workouts exhausting me to the point of passing out. It got so bad that 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer would necessitate a minimum 3 hour nap afterward. One thing I initially noticed was that my heart rate would shoot up to 190-200 almost instantly. Im not overweight, or in otherwise bad health, but I am much shorter than average, so I figured it had to something to do with the fact that most gym machines are calibrated for an average sized male, and I was having to work much harder because of my smaller size. But I went to the doctor nonetheless, when I was in my mid-20s and he had me run on a treadmill while hooked up to all manner of machines, and afterward proclaimed there was nothing wrong with my heart. As to why I was so exhausted after working out on gym machinery, he said that some people just run higher than others. He recommended I pay close attention to my heart rate and to make sure it never got over 180 for a sustained period of time, and sure enough, as soon as I did that, I stopped needing the long naps after working out. However, it means I have to workout twice as long now! LOL

Anyway, I'd get checked out by a doc to rule out any possible physical problem, just to be on the safe side. Good luck!