Couch to Half-marathon!

Options
It's getting closer!!

Cincinnati Half Marathon is October 22nd.

I started running in the 3rd week of May. I was 220lbs, and was running/walking at a 1minute run/1 minute walk pace. Slowly increasing that. My total time was like a 13-15 minute mile.

Then all of a sudden in July something just snapped, and I stopped walking....2 miles...4 miles...8 miles.

I found my pace, hit that sweet spot....hills became nothing to really worry about, and my time slowly started to decrease as the weight came off and the strength increased.

Today I did a 6 mile run with a stroller and my 40lb son....10:12 per mile average, I did it in just over 60 minutes. As a comparison I did a 10k in July and ran it in 76 minutes, so I've cut almost 10 minutes off that time in 2 months.

When I do my 8-9 mile run later this week I'm hoping to maintain that, but we'll see. I've done 7.5 miles in 1:17 in the past.

My goal is 2:30 for the half marathon, I was challenged to run it in 2:22.....I'm almost positive that I can hit that.

So basically I'm going Couch to Half-Marathon in 5 months....and I'm just itching for this race to happen!! By the time it arrives I "should" be at my goal weight of 170 or under, I'm currently 177, 44lbs down 3.5 months.

And as those last few pounds come off, I'm hoping to lose about 10 seconds off my time.

But like I said...I'm just itching for this race!!

Replies

• Incunabulum
    Options
    That's great, Joe, I'm very glad for you! I hope to be able to say something about a half-marathon that I'll run, too, someday! I buy running shoes next week. That'll certainly help me attain that goal. The weather's also getting a bit cooler in the evening, so I'll likely start running at the park again soon. Very happy for that. Keep it up, brother, you got this one!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    LOVE reading about people turning into runners!! :) Congrats on your accomplishments thus far; and just know that you are going to ace your first half-marathon! Be sure to enjoy the WHOLE experience, it's like no other :)

Cheers!
  • Chuck417
    Options
    You are AWESOME! You are blazing a trail for me. Love seeing people take the same trail I'm on. I'm right behind you. Good on you man!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    We should be friends... If you can handle my sarcasm.:devil:
  • mickynieuwoudt
    mickynieuwoudt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What a inspiration! I have 8 months to train for my first ever half marathon. And after reading your post, I am even more motivated! I start on Monday! Good luck on the half marathon, and well done!!!!
    :happy:
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You can so totally do it! I just did my first half marathon on Sunday in 2 hours 18 minutes, and I only started running in July. This whole getting healthy journey is teaching me just how amazing our bodies are and how much further we can push ourselves if we only try!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Wow only 2 months to a half-marathon??

That's insane!! Congrats!!

Barring any severe type of injury I'm in it! I just really can't wait LOL.

The course is considered fast and flat...and my neighborhood is nothing but hills, so it's tough for me to get in the distance required because of that, but I've got my routes planned to do it!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you are practicing with hills, you'll probably feel like you're flying on race day! And yes, I'm a bit mental when it comes to taking on new challenges, but hey, you just never know until you try. Can't wait to hear how you progress.
  • joehempel
    Options
    yeah hills are good for that, so is pushing a 40lb kid up these hills LOL.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Keep on it! And be warned, half marathons are a gateway drug...
  • joehempel
    Options
    Keep on it! And be warned, half marathons are a gateway drug...

I thought those were 10ks LOL.