Jogging/running is HARD!

I'm having trouble getting into the hang of jogging even with the c25k and other apps. Any tips or pointers for me?? And how do you breath?? Lol

Replies

• Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    You just have to go slow. Repeat days and weeks several times if you have to.

I sometimes play mind games with myself where I tell myself I can walk after I run 100 steps (or whatever number seems good to you). Counting the steps helps to distract me. Or I tell myself I can stop and walk after I reach that red car in front of me.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Keep at it, as it gets better: promise!

There's a least one post on the topic: "Running and breathing" which was started by @yirara

There's lots of great running tips threads in the forums as well as virtual monthly running groups. They'll have all the tips you need! There are also sites like Runner's World.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Maybe check out Hal Higdon’s beginner running program or his 5K program.

Just because C25K is popular doesn’t make it the best intro to running for everyone. I’ve used Hal Higdon’s running plans to train for all my races and loved them.

Also guided runs were a total game changer for me, the Nike app has free ones. Basically you have a coach in your ear reminding you about form, giving tips and telling you what to do for that run.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    I breathe through my mouth, and running is best done on an empty stomach. Don't drink a lot of water, and build up your muscles for stamina
  • Catlessi41
    Catlessi41 Posts: 39 Member
    Some people , such as myself, cannot follow Couch to 5k programs and the like. They are too advanced. Perhaps you need to adjust and train at your own rate. I breathe out my mouth btw. Many people here have great advice.
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Take it slow. If you find yourself breathing heavy (no longer able to talk or sing), slow down (even if that means walking). Assuming no underlying condition, your lungs will adapt quickly.

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Since lockdown I’ve been running 4 miles outside, 4-6 times a week. I breathe through my mouth, I can’t get enough air in & out breathing through my nose. Music has been what keeps me going.
    I was a treadmill runner before, and I found that I’m actually faster outside. On treadmill I was running bn 5.0-5.5 MPH. Outside, I’m in the 9 min range, vs 11-12 min.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Yeah it really is. You should be super proud of yourself for giving it a go and you'll be improving more than you think you are. Slow it down - you can work on speed later.

I personally have found listening to podcasts really helps as it distracts me enough that I don't overthink - I found if I think too much I get in my head.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    I am 43. Two summers ago I started running again for the first time since high school. I did a few 5Ks and always managed about 11-12 min miles. Not super fast but I wasn’t really training to improve. Life got crazy and I stopped running until the pandemic (was still exercising just not much running). First run back I thought I would die. Lol but it quickly got better. I am doing 3 miles 2-3 times a week in addition to other training. For me, the biggest help is music. I use jog.fm to make playlists that coordinate with the mile time I am shooting for. Just pound away to the beat. I try not to look at my watch while I run but just think “ok 3 songs down, 7 to go!”

You can definitely do it!
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Running is so hard. I have a love hate relationship with it. I started running 6 years ago, and I decided to start training for my first Disney run. I went all in with a 1/2 marathon and a full marathon back to back (The Goofy Challenge). Having something to train for helped a lot. I attempted to use the C25K and I just didn't like it. Instead, I looked into who RunDisney uses, and Jeff Galloway has some really great training tips. I have a hard time running just to run, so I seem to constantly have scheduled runs.

Also, cross training is so important. Don't just focus on running. Make sure you are lifting weights and doing HIIT training. Runners world magazine has some great full body runner focused workouts that you can google and look through.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited June 2020
    I hadn't run since I was about 14 until last year (Age 35), the first time I tackled C25K, I have yet to complete it but can when bothering to keep at it jog around 3km now.

The best bit of advice I think I have gotten around C25K:
    • Get decent shoes
    • Don't rush the program, repeat days/weeks as necessary.
    • If you can't sing whilst you're jogging, you're going to fast.

As soon as I started singing/humming along to whatever tunes I was listening to as I ran, I found a pace that I could stick with, without getting out of breath.
  • myfp67
    myfp67 Posts: 27 Member
    C25K can be hard - especially when you get to week five or six (one week has a massive jump). I use an app called RunKeeper (free version) - it works on my phone but not on everyone's. The good thing about it is you set your own training plans - so if you can only run for five minutes but could maybe do four sessions with three minutes walking in-between - you set up a training plan that covers this.

Just go for it. Just because C25K says nine weeks, you don't need to stick to that routine. Even if it takes so many multiples of nine weeks to get to your goal - at least you are doing something and getting out there (more than some people). I would say look at your timings between exercising. Two days should be the minimum when starting out but there's nothing wrong with putting a longer gap in every now and then to allow recovery.

Good luck.
  • CassieJones104
    CassieJones104 Posts: 76 Member
    Thank you all so much for the advice!