Heart attack & low sodium diet

Options
My husband had a heart attack 3 1/2 months ago, and he was put on a low-sodium diet, & was put on medications. They were not able to put in a stint due to having only 20% of his heart working. He been doing ok since he got home from the hospital, but he is loosing too much weight, due to his low-sodium & low-fat diet, he can't eat enough calories & he keeps losing. I have checked into the Ensure & Boost drinks, they all either have too much sugar, or too musch sodium. He has to watch is sugar intake too, due to being diabetic. He does not have a big appetite, but i guess he will have to try to eat more to slow down his weightloss. What are some healthy high calorie foods he can eat with his strict diet?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    These would be questions better asked of his doctors. Ask to meet with his doctor's and a registered dietian.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I would definitely chat with a doctor. I would ask why they have cut out all those types of foods. Not only is fat essential, there is tons of evidence supporting consuming high Omega 3, MUFA and non omega 6 PUFA. Things like avocado/guacamole, fatty fish, using olive/avocado oils, and nuts are great ways to get more calories and improve health. I certainly understand getting right of processed foods and added sugars
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    No one should be on a diet of less than 1500mg unless he is bloated with water and in that case needs a supplemental electrolyte. With a 20% EF he is probably at 2000mg.

A 16oz vanilla malt has 470 calories and 200mg of sodium/ A cup of whipped cream adds 160 calories and no sodium.

That is a pretty good breakfast drink and afternoon snack for a guy with a depressed appetite and losing weight. Forget about vitamins and minerals. Give him a Centrum Silver and don't worry about it. No one ever died eating ice cream malts all day.

1200 calories 200mg of sodium.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are things you can do to make low-salt foods taste good. Mrs. Dash is wonderful. We particularly like the herb & garlic flavor. Adding seasonings, as long as they don't contain added salt makes otherwise bland food taste good. To me, salt-free chicken broth tastes like dirty water but adding seasoning to it brings it to life.

As to low-fat, learn about the different kinds of fat. Avoid transfats totally. Do this by avoiding processed foods, especially those that list anything "hydrogenated" in the ingredients. Keep saturated fats to a minimum. Do this by avoiding red meat, full fat dairy, and other similar land-based animal foods. Don't avoid all fats equally. Our bodies require fats to build cells and keep nerves healthy.

Here's a link I found that may help with your question:
    https://www.lipid.org/sites/default/files/heart-healthy_eating_if_you_are_underweight_final.pdf
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I would have thought a Mediterranean type diet would fit the criteria, but of course you would need to discuss with his Drs.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    No one should be on a diet of less than 1500mg unless he is bloated with water and in that case needs a supplemental electrolyte. With a 20% EF he is probably at 2000mg.

A 16oz vanilla malt has 470 calories and 200mg of sodium/ A cup of whipped cream adds 160 calories and no sodium.

That is a pretty good breakfast drink and afternoon snack for a guy with a depressed appetite and losing weight. Forget about vitamins and minerals. Give him a Centrum Silver and don't worry about it. No one ever died eating ice cream malts all day.

1200 calories 200mg of sodium.

Can't agree more with this! The first thing I was asked by my doctor and neurologist when I began screening and treatment for epilepsy was if I consume enough sodium, as it can contribute to non-epileptic seizures, which in turn can contribute to long-term neurological harm. Coupled with an excessive calorie deficit & rapid weight loss, your husband could potentially add more medical problems to the mix. It's also worth noting that rapid weight loss can exasperate existing or create new problems in terms of cardiac health.

As others have stated, his situation is best addressed by professionals. Primary physician is a good start, but invest in at least one or two appointments with a dietician as they are better trained in nutrition.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't substitute the dietary advice of random Internet stranger for the advice of your husband's doctor who knows his actual medical history and condition.

Of course, talking to the doctor about the difficulties presented in adhering to his advice, asking whether you can add PUFAs and MUFAs, and asking for a referral to a registered dietitian would be a sensible course.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Agree completely that you should speak with your husband's medical team and perhaps get a referral for a dietician. As weight loss is now a problem.

Perhaps log everything, he is eating accurately. So you can show them what/how much he is eating.

While you MUST speak to his Doctor, I just want to mention a problem I had. While no ones fault, it did cause problems, thankfully remedied.

For my heart condition, I was put on a low fat diet. Concerned for my health, I cut right back on my fats. But wasn't tracking calories or macros at that time. As months past, blood tests showed positive results.

But then I suddenly became very unwell. Blood tests showed my levels had dropped to low. My idea of "low fat" was as low as possible. But that meant almost no fat. Your body needs a certain amount to function correctly.

So I found out from my doctor what he meant as low fat, for my condition. I now track calories and macros to ensure I meet these levels, while not exceeding them. Thats why its best to ask his medical team.