COFFEE

Options
Hello ALL
I love south indian filter coffee is it ok to have coffee and lose weight?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is very low in calories. If you add cream and sugar it can get very high in calories. Coffee has a lot of benefits to your health, in moderation.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For an up-to-date discussion of coffee as part of a healthy diet, read https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/coffee/

• joyneville253
    joyneville253 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ive lost currently 135 lbs eating healthy and I Love COFFEE😘👏👍yes drink away! However...coffee not frappacinos, sugar drinks ect but coffee i drink ever day!💓
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    South Indian coffee is code for lots of cream and sugar like chai?

If yes, I would be very careful with the indulgence because it has calories and has to fit.

That said, I usually have multiple 20oz cups of regular and decaf black coffee in a day....
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    if i didnt drink coffee i would kill people and be in prison.

80+ pounds down and coffee EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. and thats with my sweet creamer. those calories are worth it.

and keep me out of prison LOL

Agreed 100%!
  • myfp67
    myfp67 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually find that black caffeineated coffee will help me burn fat and lose weight. Unfortunately, I try to only have decaff coffee as I have constant ectopic heartbeats and I've found caffeine (as well as other things) can make them worse. But, when I had caffeine in the past it has had a positive effect on my weight. The two may not be directly related, for example, the caffeine may allow/cause me to exercise harder.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not. When I eliminated caffeine from my diet (for non dieting reasons) my weight loss actually slowed bit and I miss it as a diet enhancer (and for other reasons!). Easy on the cream and sugar, though, and don't forget to log them.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Coffee everyday! Usually black in the morn, sometimes I will make a flat white or cappuccino or a bulletproof style in the aft. Log all calories for the additions you use to make your coffee and keep in your calorie goals and you will be fine.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I love south indian filter coffee is it ok to have coffee and lose weight?

Yes, as long as you don't add too much cal rich stuff to it.

Black is best because it's essentially cal free but if/when you start adding sugar, milk/cream snd other stuff to it, you can still lose wt but you better be sure you'd accounted for those cals when you drink coffee
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Once again, excuse this retired librarian for answering a question no one asked:

Caffeine is indeed the major ingredient in many diet pills. The major ingredient in Hydroxycut, for example, is coffee extract. A problem with relying too much on it for weight loss can cause you consume too much which for many people results in the jitters, etc. Other 'uppers" have found their way into diet pills over the years but they really aren't good for long term weight loss and many have later been banned, e.g. fen-phen, due to side effects like heart damage. Phentermine is still legal but the average weight loss is only 5% of body weight which is a pittance for many of us.

Most studies have found advantages or at least no harm in consuming 3 to 5 eight-ounce cups of brewed coffee per day. For many of us that is fewer than three "cups" full because our morning mugs hold more than 8 ounces.