Caloric amt goes up with exercise?

Options
castoridae1
castoridae1 Posts: 5 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all, I'm confused about calorie amounts allowed. I'm a 71 yr old female, told to eat 1,200 calories/day.
My Fitbit syncs with Myfitnesspal so that when I go for a walk, etc the calories allowed on Myfitnesspal increases. I'm told to stay on 1,200 cals/day.
I'm confusrd. What do other people do in this situation?
Any advice would be very welcome. Thx. Castoridae1

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back some or all of your exercise calories. They may be inflated, so many eat back half.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, "I'm told to eat 1200 per day?"

Who told you?

If you mean your calories on this site are 1200, then when you exercise you need more food. So eat until you have "Zero" remaining calories.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67USKg3w_E4

• castoridae1
    Options
    But the weight clinic that suggests this app said that we must keep to the 1200 calories. And so did my dietician, who has nothing to do with the weight clinic. That's why I feel frustrated and confused. What they're saying is 1200 calories per day period.
  • castoridae1
    Options
    No. My MFP syncs with my Fitbit, so the calories spent should be accurate.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    No. My MFP syncs with my Fitbit, so the calories spent should be accurate.

Nothing can be completely accurate.

If you are exercising you are burning calories. 1200 is a very restricted diet so you should eat some of those calories back. It's possible to eat 1200 calories, I know this, but it's really not all that healthy or possible to do over a prolonged period of time
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    But the weight clinic that suggests this app said that we must keep to the 1200 calories. And so did my dietician, who has nothing to do with the weight clinic. That's why I feel frustrated and confused. What they're saying is 1200 calories per day period.

Then why the Fitbit and why exercise? You need to ask your clinic, they will echo what you are being told here. 1200 cals eaten plus 200 or 300 or whatever cals eaten from extras from Fitbit is still 1200 net calories.