Weight loss, setbacks, motivation and friends

Options
Hi, my name is Mich, here is a little bit about myself. Since 2011 to 2019 I have had 4 back operations, my gallbladder removed, right hand carpol tunnel operation and a deep seeded spinal infection called discitis which saw me in hospital for just over 3 months where they said I might not be able to walk again. That infection has left me with arthritis in my spine, on top of a rare condition called Cauda Equina. I have to get injections into my coccyx twice a year as well. So health wise I didn't have a lot going for me. But against the odds I got the feeling back into my legs and through rehab am able to walk again! But because of all of that I have went from a fit, very active size 8 and just under 9 stone to a whopping size 18/20 and 17 stone.

Since getting out of hospital in October last year I have lost just over a stone but it could have been a lot more. I am doing the keto diet. I have had my setbacks mainly through choice (which is the most important word in that sentence) some have been due to depression as I let the negatives get on top of me, other times I just chose to be greedy. I was doing alright and got down to 15st 4lbs but then I decide to sabotage myself and chose to go off the beaten path and had a couple of different pizzas and some ice cream last Sunday and Saturday past, as well as some other junk in-between. I foolishly done that and gained 8lbs.

I felt bloated, sluggish, uncomfortable and most importantly I felt shame. Not because I did it but because I let myself do it. I don't even really like food like that!

I am now more determined than ever to beat this. Everything I have to do it slow and takes time. I can't go out running or do crazy gym classes so my exercise routine has to be slow but beneficial, which it is. I feel I am getting fitter (despite the weight gain) I'm not the most patient person on the planet, but that is something I will overcome

I just wanted to join a community with like minded others who can admit their mistakes, use them as a tool to turn it from a negative to a positive and tell your story.

Feel free to get in touch and we can share our progress. I will be putting a facial pic up every 4 weeks to see if there is any change,why don't you join me

Replies

• grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You have been through a lot. You got this !
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Let the shame go, there is nothing to be ashamed about. Much of that weight was probably water weight anyway, as you tend to restore some water weight that's lost through a low-carb diet. An additional chunk was also just more water and food weight from the food itself and the salt. It sounds like you are on the right track, so I wish you luck. It can be more difficult when you have trouble with health, but you got this.