Keto Not Losing Weight

Options
Lastchancetochange
Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
edited April 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Hi I've been 2 weeks in Keto, first I lost but not this one. Basically I think I'm eating too much calories. I snack parmesan cheese in between meals, breakfast 2 eggs sunny side up with spinach, bacon and avocado. Lunch Red meat grilled and veggies / salad and for dinner or 2 slices of salmon and veggies with Mayonnaise or meatballs with tomato sauce.

I'm totally off from potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, beer and sweets but I do eat some sauces like sriracha mayo or sweet chili heinz sauce that have some sugar.

What do you think ? I haven't really gained but I should be losing.

Also true that being confined I move very little. Try to do indoor cycling every 2-3 days and some weights in the middle.

Thanks

Replies

• Lastchancetochange
    Lastchancetochange Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Hi I've been 2 weeks in Keto, first I lost but not this one. Basically I think I'm eating too much calories. I snack parmesan cheese in between meals, breakfast 2 eggs sunny side up with spinach, bacon and avocado. Lunch Red meat grilled and veggies / salad and for dinner or 2 slices of salmon and veggies with Mayonnaise or meatballs with tomato sauce.

I'm totally off from potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, beer and sweets but I do eat some sauces like sriracha mayo or sweet chili heinz sauce that have some sugar.

What do you think ? I haven't really gained but I should be losing.

Also true that being confined I move very little. Try to do indoor cycling every 2-3 days and some weights in the middle.

Thanks

Are you tracking your calories? You can gain, maintain or lose weight on keto but it all comes down to calories. Also, 2 weeks is not enough time to come to any conclusions, but if your are just doing keto and not tracking calories, you are flying blind. It's not what you eat for weight loss (For health and balanced nutrition it is.). It's how much vs. what you are burning.

No I'm not and I guess that is where the error is. I'm basically eating until I'm full and Keto foods are of course hi calorie.
  • LJRS2019
    LJRS2019 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can always do higher fat with a calorie restriction but it is calories that matter
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi team, brief update. I'm still in Keto, doing intermittent fasting also. I have lost 7 kilos now or 16 pounds. The difference is I started to track calories so I know now more or less what I'm eating.

Still I would like it go faster but I always have trouble understanding this is a marathon not an sprint.

So thanks to your advice of adding in calorie counting I think more or less I got this.

Cheers

Rob.

That's great to hear. I found that once I went "low carb" I couldnt eat enough to bring me to my daily calories. After about 4 months I wasnt ever really hungry again. I am about 150lbs from my goal but I never thought I would stop wanting to eat naturally. And I never got the Keto Flu as some mentioned, I take a Multivitamin specifically targeted to keto dieters that hopefully prevented that. NSVs and all, great job.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,277 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er.... Many say you don't need to track your calories but I do not agree with that .... you are welcome to look at my diary for ideas if you would like...Congrats on your 16 lb loss :)
  • Samtyldesley58
    Samtyldesley58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am doing keto but make sure my carbs are lower than protein and fat and make sure I get up to my calories as well. It has taken trial and error this site. If I feel like I'm not losing anything I will look at the fat and protein and maybe change them about whilst keeping to 1120 calories. I also look to diet doc for foods I can use and also the food tracker to see which are better for me.
  • mada2u1984
    mada2u1984 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Doing measurements some people have shared with me help them see they are still losing even when the scale does not reflect it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Cheese, oil (if you are using to fry your eggs), bacon, avocado, salmon depending on type, mayo, meatballs (typically the cheaper 80/20 or 7_/2_ grades are used) are all very, very calorie dense. (To the point that these are things that should be weighed for accuracy rather than using spoons, etc even if you use volume measurements for everything else). Fat is 9 calories per gram, and these items are all very, very high fat. (Fat isn't bad.. we need it and it is satiating for some, but calorie counts can skyrocket incredibly fast).
  • ritzvin
    edited June 2020
    Options
    .. If you've never weighed your food, it can be helpful to even just do it for a week or so... Many people have absolutely no idea beforehand what a serving of many things look like.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    .. Also, depending on your current weight, don't necessarily expect to see weight loss every week. Our weight fluctuates normally a few pounds even within the same day... Less than the weekly weight loss goal for many.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    .. If you've never weighed your food, it can be helpful to even just do it for a week or so... Many people have absolutely no idea beforehand what a serving of many things look like.

... Same for logging calories... Even if for a short time, it can illustrate what food items are worth it and which aren't. (some may be surprisingly low calorie in your desired quantity, others may be ridiculously high for a small amount and leaving you craving more). (The starchy things you cut out are a frequent one in the latter category, but not so for everyone).
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss

Weigh and measure everything you eat and drink accurately. Patience, it will happen. Two weeks is nothing.