Asparagus

Options
Pokemom33
Pokemom33 Posts: 46 Member
So, I am re starting my journey and I didnt buy any junky kind of food. I bought veggies I know I like but I am not very creative when it comes to cooking. The one thing I bought I am unsure on how to prepare and that is asparagus. I have no idea what to do with it. The only seasonings I have if that helps me is lemon pepper, paprika, seasoning salt, salt and pepper! Any pointers would be wonderful :)

Replies

• asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just steam it with a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper
  • Pokemom33
    Options
    Just steam it with a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper

Thanks!!! :)
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I usually just steam it. If you want some indulgence, dot with a small amount of butter once it's on your plate.

I also like it chopped up and cooked in risotto, but the carb and calorie count mean I don't have that very often.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I like to put a little olive oil and salt and pepper on mine, then throw them on the grill.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Like @Zoomie402, I like to toss mine on the grill. But you can get similar results by roasting in the oven for 10-14 min at 425 F. If they're skinny, shorter time. They should be bright green. I toss them with lemon or lime juice and garlic powder with, perhaps a bit of salt.

Also awesome in stirfry. Genius kitchen has a good beef and broccoli recipe which I swap veg and meat around in...chicken with asparagus is one if my husband's favorites.
  • melaniedscott
    Options
    I don't cut the ends, I bend them from the tough end until they snap. And discard the bit that breaks off. Rinse. I don't dry them. Just toss in some citus juice with salt and maybe garlic or onion powder. Then roast 10-14 min at 425F.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I don't use a grill, and I don't like turning on the oven to roast asparagus and heat up the house in the warmer part of the year, so I just rinse, snap off the ends, and cook it in a sauce pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. I snap them in half usually so they're small enough to fit in the bottom of the pan, and I put the lid on while they cook. It only takes a few minutes. I like the texture this way better than steaming. It's somewhere between steaming and roasting.

ETA: you can save the ends in the freezer and use to make veggie stock for asparagus soup -- the flavor might be a little strong and distinctive for stock for other soups or other purposes, but of course that's a matter of taste.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Snap off the hard ends. Wrap in a damp paper towel. Microwave until soft but still bright green. Now's the time to get out the butter.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    I normally drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and toss into the air fryer (or convection oven) at 200C for 10-12 minutes.

My husband prefers them sauteed in a little butter. Cut into 2-3 inch lengths and stir fry in a tablespoon of butter. Occasionally remove an piece slice off a tip to see whether they have softened to your liking.

Before cooking your asparagus remove the tough ends by snapping off near the end feeling for the first point it breaks easily. The tough ends can be saved in the freezer for when you make stock.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I like it roasted. Snap off the hard ends, toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes...the time depends on the thickness of your asparagus, so just keep an eye on them to see when they get nice and brown.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Use your veggie peeler to slice into a salad. I love their sweet raw taste.
    I also take the ends, steam or boil and blend into a pure etc.

Yep, I peel the hard ends, cut them in pieces, boil with a potato, puree', and then add low-fat milk, paprika, black pepper, and veg broth (powder, cubes, or crystals). Once in the soup bowl, I top with grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I like to buy thinnish asparagus stalks, not the fat ones. I cut off the hard ends, toss in a little olive oil with garlic salt, pepper and saute in a skillet for about 6-7 minutes. Throw on a dash of parmesan cheese about a minute before turning the heat off.

But I think I need to try some of these other ideas.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus cooked, but I also like the crunch of them raw and chopped in a salad. I frequently make egg cups (mini frattata) and if I have asparagus on hand, always throw some in those.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    They’re also great with poached eggs, ham and hollandaise sauce. Or in a creamy white sauce with chicken. Or steamed alongside something like salmon.
  • Pokemom33
    Options
    thanks everyone :) this really helped me!!! Looking forward to trying some of these!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Just microwave for 1 min covered w/plastic wrapand just a little water added to steam them. Add lemon/lime juice and salt/pepper to taste

Takes a little longer but, if you like them grilled, just coat them w/olive oil (not much needed) and toss them in a grill pan or on the BBQ (for grill marks) or just in a plain saute pan and cook 4 about 3-5 mins til cooked to your desired texture. And then again season to taste.

Using mayo or hollandaise sauce (which is a traditional French treatment) will be cal bombs but if you have the cals available there really is nothing better than grilled asparagus topped w/hollandaise sauce.

Yum!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually roast asparagus. Make sure you snap off the hard ends.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,923 Member
    Options
    I don't use a grill, and I don't like turning on the oven to roast asparagus and heat up the house in the warmer part of the year, so I just rinse, snap off the ends, and cook it in a sauce pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. I snap them in half usually so they're small enough to fit in the bottom of the pan, and I put the lid on while they cook. It only takes a few minutes. I like the texture this way better than steaming. It's somewhere between steaming and roasting.

ETA: you can save the ends in the freezer and use to make veggie stock for asparagus soup -- the flavor might be a little strong and distinctive for stock for other soups or other purposes, but of course that's a matter of taste.

Unless the grill or oven is already on, I also saute in a pan on the stove top as above.

Mom likes to steam in a little water.
  • melaniedscott
    Options
    Moosewood also has a fantastic spring minestrone soup recipe that calls for asparagus. I make it every spring. It is wonderful.

There is also some sort if veg-pasta salad (orzo) from them...mmmm, now I need to look for it... that calls for lightly blanched asparagus...very yum.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I mostly sautee it in a pan. Add a little olive oil, salt, pepper.

I also like it in omelets a lot. One of my favorites is an asparagus and leek omelet.