Help me please, my period + munchies= weight gain

Options
hey guys. i have been doing really wel, up until i had my first period since starting my diet 7 weeks ago. now i have gained 2lbs cause i constantly have the munchies. does anyon else get this whilst on their period? and what do you do to combat it?

Replies

• lamykins
    lamykins Posts: 30
    Options
    hey guys. i have been doing really wel, up until i had my first period since starting my diet 7 weeks ago. now i have gained 2lbs cause i constantly have the munchies. does anyon else get this whilst on their period? and what do you do to combat it?
  • jms961886
    Options
    try drink some water when your feeling the munchies comming on, alot of time when our head says hungry we really only need a drink. If that doesnt work try healthy crunchy munchie foods like special k chocolate delight
    hope that helps !:flowerforyou:
  • lamykins
    Options
    thanks hun, will try that next month, to save the heartache of more weight gain.lol
  • gperry227
    gperry227 Posts: 93
    Options
    I usually want chocolate. What I do is eat a bag of those Quaker chocolate granola bites or if I REALLY want chocolate, I eat a Betty Crocker Molten Chocolate mini and then I am good.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds during my period, even though I was eating right. It went away a few days later though. I would suggest not weighing yourself during that time of the month, because all it will do is get you very upset for no reason. The munchies probably aren't causing it- your body retains water because of all the other "stuff" your body loses during this time. If you do crave chocolate, I suggest Hershey Bliss dark chocolate squares, or warm delights mini's(the hot molten chocolate is good), or a skinny cow fudge cone. They are all lower calorie options. In conclusion- don't weigh- don't freak out, in the words of Joe Dirt, "You gotta keep on keepin on.":laugh:
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Welp, I just started calorie counting a week ago. I haven't gotten to that week yet and I too am like that. Past habits would have included about 2 or 3 days of potato chips. Soooo, I like popcorn and what I'm thinking is if I continue to work out and balance the calories eaten and burned I'll be ok. If I go over, well, more treadmill time. I just bought some carrots so I'm thinking they have the same crunchy likeness I will keep that in mind as well.

Besides the munchies I also have a couple of days of "vigerous housekeeping" Are you like that? That has to burn extra calories.

Also, After about a week of that being over I notice the couple of pounds drop back off. Water weight?
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    lol we were all posting at the same time
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Exercise during your period usually relieves the little aches and pains that come with your period...and gets your mind off of food. Cravings usually pass after about 10 minutes anyway so perhaps busying your hands until it passes will help.

M
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself around TOM.

Here's a post with a lot of great info in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/37989-just-an-fyi-regarding-your-period-and-weight-gain
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I make sure to have plenty of sweet bell peppers and grapes....both are nutritious and very low calories....
  • mims
    mims Posts: 1
    Options
    instead of reaching for that chocolate, go to the cupboard and get some nuts or rasins or fruit. during your period just try to keep yourself active so you dont have the thought of food in your head. i hope this helps you, it usually helps me, during my period i tend to only gain a pound or two. good luck with your weight loss!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Any weight that you're gaining during your period is probably because you're bloated and it's water gain. I'd definitely stay far far away from the scale at that time.

The other option is don't have your period so much like me! I only have it 4 times a year so that definitely cuts down on the outta control muchie feelings!! :bigsmile:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I have PMDD which means that I feel most of the symptoms of PMS triple fold...lucky me...

I get so super hungry on my period and I crave food that just don't fit in my diet. I indulge and I usually gain the standard 2 lbs during my period. Fortunately, one of the only things that relieves my pain is exercise (yoga and slow walking), so maybe up the calories and up the exercise during your oh so special time of the month. As soon as my period is over, I re-weigh and the 2 lbs are gone.

This is my first period trying to count calories...we'll see how it goes, but I can bet you anything that extra 2 lbs will be back and then quickly gone. Oh the frustrations of being a woman!
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    i have had my period 3 times since I came here and I gain 3-5 lbs everytime b4 my period regardless of my calorie count.

I used to maintain my weight and had the same pattern.

The great thing I noticed was that my first 2 days of my period I am lower then I was before and then when its done I drop even more. i dont think these are "real" lbs I think its just fluxuations in water weight because of hormones.

I do know that my hunger goes up the week before . I am at 1200 regularly so i up it too 1400 or so for that week and make sure I have homeade choclate milk everyday to help with the cravings. When my period starts my appitite goes down so I figure it balances out.

Sul:flowerforyou:
  • incorporeally
    incorporeally Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I never crave chocolate (above the amount that I normally crave it, that is:bigsmile: . I crave grease, for some reason. I feel like I need to eat a lot of hamburger, cheese, things that have been fried...etc. I usually totally go overboard, but this will be my first time while here. Hopefully, I can keep it undercontrol...:blushing:
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Cham when I was a teenager I used to be really bad with the cramps to the point where I can't stand walk or move. My step mom told me that caffeine and chocolate makes things worse around that time of the month and I find that I have no craving for any caffiene or chocolate during that time and I think my stepmom maybe onto something. I don't get bad anymore, actually I only feel some bloating and thats about it. Just something to think about.
  • lamykins
    Options
    guys all i can say is thank you for the great help. i will definately bear it all in mind next month. i thought it was only me and i was oding something wrong. well fingers crossed for having it all off again by next week. thank you and good luck to you all. xx