Beginner's half-marathon advice, please

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Morning all. I'm training for the London Royal Parks half-marathon on 9 October, which will be my first half, and could use some advice.

I'm a super-slow runner and have been using Jeff Galloway's run/walk method for my long, slow runs (LSR) at his recommended ratio for my pace of run 2/walk 1.

I've been following the Beginner's training plan provided by the race which has four training sessions a week - recovery, intervals, tempo and LSR. The LSR is done by time. The problem for me is the longest LSR in the plan is 110 minutes, but I predict the race will take me 165 minutes!

As per the schedule, I'm doing a 10K race this Sunday, then there's only two more LSRs before the taper. They're supposed to be 100 and 110 minutes. Should I stick with this or increase them to, say, 120 and 140 minutes? Or go against my time-based plan and aim for, say, 10 and 12 miles?

All ideas much appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    I have read very good things about Gallaway's run/walk program. I seems to be very successful. I would stick with that.

One of the funniest things I have read was in Runners World years ago - " I start off slow, then taper." Still makes me
    smile.:laugh:
  • BerryH
    Options
    Thanks, love the quote :laugh:

Yes, I'm sticking to the walk/run, I was just asking about how long/far those last two sessions should be.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I'll be interested to hear what people suggest.
    I've been looking at HM training, thinking about doing my first in Feb and I have the same concern - that a time based program won't give me enough miles to build up the endurance I need.
    My gut feel is that you would want at least a 10 mile run in you legs, so I'd extend the time to get to that in training.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    How far do you go when you did your 90 minute run a few days ago?
  • BerryH
    Options
    How far do you go when you did your 90 minute run a few days ago?
    That was only 10.5km, but my average was slow because I stopped to do some hill sprints with my old running group! Masochist much? I did 10km in 80 mins last week, which is a better indicator of my usual pace.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I would say this is as much about confidence as anything else - I would say that you should do at least 11 miles in one of your training sessions so that you know for sure you are going to cross the finish line on the day. (there is some debate around what the longest distance you should do is - I've heard anything from 11 to 15: But never above or below.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I can't help you with your run walk ratios etc, but I too am running the Royal Parks 1/2. It's a great, very friendly race with a fantastic atmosphere.

I'm coming back from an injury, but will be training up to 10/11 miles as a long run two weeks before the race, with an 8 the week after as I begin to taper. I did it last year too, and had some problems with my training so probably had only run 9 miles as a long and I was ok in the end.

Good luck!

Erika
  • BerryH
    Options
    Fab advice, thanks Mikey and Erika! The week before taper I'll aim for 11 miles or around 2 hours 20 at my target pace, whichever's longer!

I'd say see you at the race Erika, but I suspect I'll only see you disappearing miles ahead of me! But very reassuring to hear what a lovely race it is. It's apparently very hard to get into, and a lot of my running friends are very jealous, so I hope to do it justice.

There's a cut off of 90 minutes for the first 6 miles which concerns me a little, but I'm confident that even on a bad day at my super-slow pace I can manage that.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be more than fine with the cut off. The rest is then in the park so there is nothing to worry about. There will be plenty of people running about your pace, I am by no means a speedy runner and I had plenty of company last year.

Erika
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I Would agree with 10/11 miles max in whatever time you can do it in. When I did GNR last year I lost training time due to an injury so only got up to 8m max before the race. I always feel I was a couple of weeks behind & wished I had been able to get to 10/11 before as I struggled during miles 11 & 12. That said I finished in 2hr 48min which is a little over what you are aiming for & there were lots that finished after me. There were also lots of people just walking so sure you will be fine with your plan. This year I now have a more structured training plan so am hoping to do it a bit quicker - eek!!

You have done really well with your training so far so it obviously works for you!! Good luck with your long mileage runs. :flowerforyou:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I am doing Hal Higdon's training plan app. Join our half marathon group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332590-half-marathon-training-support-group
  • BerryH
    Options
    Thanks DF, very reassuring! Touch wood, doing a r/w programme has kept me injury free.

And thanks for that STG, I'll be along to say hi!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Oh, and I meant to add this advice passed on from a running pal today: "Better 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained".
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I would definitely try to get in an 11/12 miler before race day. It will help when it comes to confidence on race day.
    Then you can taper back down to 9 a couple of weeks before the race.

I am following the training plan in the August issue of Runner's World. If you will shoot me a message later I can show you exactly what the long runs are each week for that training plan. I have found it to be quite effective (the whole plan) for how I feel as far as training goes for my 2nd as opposed to my plan for the first.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I will voice the same opinion as others who suggest going 11 miles, regardless of time, in training for the half marathon. This distance will prepare you for race day and completing the full 13.1 mile race. Don't worry about time, just enjoy the challenge of completing the event and working up to the distance. I am in the midst of training for a 1/2 as well with about 4 weeks to race day. My long run this week will be 10 miles. I have never run this far before, the closest I ever came was a 15k (9.3 miles) I did about 10 years ago. I am really enjoying the challenge of becoming a distance runner....someday a marathon....welp thats the dream!