Cheap greek yogurt

Options
I read a lot about greek yogurt on here so I thought I would give it a try, however I can't find it anywhere for less than $1 for a small single serving and that is quite out of my price range. I'm used to spending $2 for a 32oz tub. Any suggestions on where to find affordable greek yogurt?

Replies

• dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I buy Hannaford brand from my local Bloom grocery store.... 89 cents each and pretty delicious.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not know where you live but the cheapest I have found it Kroger brand and it is $0.88 each.
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are, but here in New Zealand you can buy hansells or easio powdered sachets that you make yourself. It makes 1kg of yogurt, all different kinds/flavors for around $4nz, they are very nice and very economical indeed :) It is hard to eat healthy cheaply,it shouldn't be this way....but it is :(
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Dollar is about average price that I've seen at Walmart for Dannon Greek Yogurt. Chobani and the other brands are closer to a 1.30.

I got a big tub of plain Chobani Greek Yogurt at Walmart for like 5 something the other day. Hoping it lasts a bit!
  • chantihayes
    Options
    If you're in the US, search for coupons!!!!! Google your brand + coupons... most you can print rightfrom home :) Or start buying your sunday paper, because I have a ton of yogurt coupons! I *think* my greek yogurt coupons right now are .50 off of 2, and at about $1.00 each that helps a bit.. makes 'em 0.75 each, which is only a little bit more than regular yogurt. . I have about 5 of those coupons ,but I'm waiting until my Publix has a sale so I can get them even cheaper :)
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    In the US, Chobani, Stonyfield and Dannon Oikos usually give coupons online. It's a little pricier, but it's really worth it.
  • motherof2wins
    motherof2wins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes near you, you can go there as well. The store brand is delish and affordable!
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I found some at Target. It's called Chobani. It's not too expensive, but still pricier than the regular yogurt.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I buy a large container of Fage Greek Yogurt at Walmart for 3.53 and then eat 1/2 cup servings out of it.. I also buy Polaner all fruit and put 1 tblsp(serving size) of it in the yogurt and stir...cheaper that way...
  • chantihayes
    Options
    If you're in the US, search for coupons!!!!! Google your brand + coupons... most you can print rightfrom home :) Or start buying your sunday paper, because I have a ton of yogurt coupons! I *think* my greek yogurt coupons right now are .50 off of 2, and at about $1.00 each that helps a bit.. makes 'em 0.75 each, which is only a little bit more than regular yogurt. . I have about 5 of those coupons ,but I'm waiting until my Publix has a sale so I can get them even cheaper :)
  • shellrae1973
    shellrae1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If I buy the single serve greek yogurt I have to pay $1.69 each! (I am in Canada) and this is for the store brand. I usually buy the 500ml tub for $3.99 (again the store brand) and portion it into a little rubbermaid container each day. Saves a lot of money! It rarely goes on sale here.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You can strain your regular yogurt with cheese cloth. That's all Greek yogurt is...strained.
  • LoveHoodies
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions (I am in the US). I think I will wait until Sunday to scavange for coupons then try it out :)

Really like the idea of mixing a bit of preserves in with it, thanks muitobem
  • SCentanni
    SCentanni Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started making my own!
    I buy a large container of GV plain nf yogurt, and put it in cheesecloth (I use napkins) over a strainer.
    The whey will drain out of it and within a few hours, you have greek yogurt!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you're a Costco member they sell 12 packs of Chobani for under $10.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    A FYI if anyone here is diabetic: the Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt has a lot of sugar in it, and to me it even tastes sweet. I get the Kroger brand for .88 .