Exercise

Options
My bmi is currently around 33 and I need to loose 4 stone does anyone have any tips ?

I also want to start exercising with the weight I'm carrying:-( what would be best ?

Thank you! Xx

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight just by eating less. Exercise is not required. But exercise is something we should do for our health (if we are able).

If you are out of shape, start out slowly. Build up to fitness. What are your goals?

For cardio fitness: walking, jogging, dancing. If you want to stay indoors look for YouTube videos. I like Jessica Smith TV. I you want outdoors, perhaps look into Couch to 5K.

For strength training (it's good for your bones too): you can start out with body weight training. There are books, apps, and videos. I like pilates videos.

Just start by doing something most days. Even 15 minutes is a good start. Google 15 minute YouTube exercise videos. Keep trying new things until you find what you like.

The "best" exercise is the exercise you will do consistently. Not just during weight loss, but something you will want to continue.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend you to increase calories you spent during exercise. That is the energy which your body would take from your fat storage to cover for your expenditure. Why do you want to use extreniuse sourses of energy if you have it plenty in you own body?
  • natasor1
    Options
    And what about exercise type? You can do walking or any of less damaging your joints exercises. Use you own body weight or free weights in the gym, perform exercise one after another without long rests. Use technique which allows you to do quick switch from one exercise to another with shortest rests: it's do legs, then arms, then back, then shoulders. Then go back to first exercise and continue to the same order. It allows your legs to rest before you start doing them again. It's called circular exercise. You can perform one, two, three or more rounds as you become more fit
  • natasor1
    Options
    By genetic code, we have switch in our body to allow us to switch from food we consume, to storage energy inside of us as fat. We accumulate fat in the time of plentiful to use it the time of famine. Evolution created this convenient storage for us, that helped us survive through millenniums. If person has BMI 33, it means he or she has huge potential to burn energy, without even consume anything at all. Known fact, that slim individual of BMI 22 can walk from New-York to Miami Florida without having food at all, only on internal storage of energy. Yes, it will be awful hard, but potentially he can do it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    natasor1 wrote: »
    By genetic code, we have switch in our body to allow us to switch from food we consume, to storage energy inside of us as fat. We accumulate fat in the time of plentiful to use it the time of famine. Evolution created this convenient storage for us, that helped us survive through millenniums. If person has BMI 33, it means he or she has huge potential to burn energy, without even consume anything at all. Known fact, that slim individual of BMI 22 can walk from New-York to Miami Florida without having food at all, only on internal storage of energy. Yes, it will be awful hard, but potentially he can do it.

You didn't really understand what was being referenced then. Suggest you go back and reread.
    Perhaps your take on what was said is because you don't understand how MFP works differently than every other site out there for weight loss. (in which case commenting on how it should be done isn't useful in the least)

The reference was still to eating less than you burn.

But if your base eating goal is based on only daily activity no exercise (as MFP does), but now you've done exercise never accounted for in the math - you can now eat more and still be less less than you burn in total.

You might find the research interesting that discusses the negatives of eating waaayyyy to little for the amount you burn.

Your fat reserves might carry you from NY to Miami on paper - but you'll do some serious damage to your body if you really attempted that - I think you know that.

ETA -
    There is no switch - the vast amount of your day and energy source is already the stored fat.
    Even in a surplus of eating.
    A diet merely changes the amount of time to slightly more fat burn than normal.

At 22 BMI that would be a superhuman feat.

I wouldn't make it 50 miles. I'm at 22 BMI and there is no way I could walk from NYC to Miami without further fuel.
  • natasor1
    Options
    You didn't really understand what was being referenced then. Suggest you go back and reread.
    Perhaps your take on what was said is because you don't understand how MFP works differently than every other site out there for weight loss. (in which case commenting on how it should be done isn't useful in the least)

The reference was still to eating less than you burn.

But if your base eating goal is based on only daily activity no exercise (as MFP does), but now you've done exercise never accounted for in the math - you can now eat more and still be less less than you burn in total.

You might find the research interesting that discusses the negatives of eating waaayyyy to little for the amount you burn.

Your fat reserves might carry you from NY to Miami on paper - but you'll do some serious damage to your body if you really attempted that - I think you know that.

ETA -
    There is no switch - the vast amount of your day and energy source is already the stored fat.
    Even in a surplus of eating.
    A diet merely changes the amount of time to slightly more fat burn than normal.
    June 15, 2020 2:33PM edited 2:35PM

Sorry, so long comment. and still have no idea, eat you exercise calories back or not to eat ....?
  • natasor1
    Options
    Little comment on your exercise type. The best I think, the low impact exercises which involve most your biggest muscles of the body. In female body these are quads, glutes, butt and little of back. Arms, abs and shoulders gives you only balancing the body muscles composition. But real hormonal and metabolic impact give you those biggest muscles working hard and long. In the male body picture is easy: almost all muscles are big and energy impacting. But still quats, glutes, butt and back should be in the foremost attention. Don t waist your time on byseps, triceps curles, calves, sides, neck moves. The real energetic and hormonal impact in the area of dead lifts, squats all types, lunges with weights, pull ups, push ups. All those classic basic moves which involve two or three joints and make you to move body in two, three planes. Good luck to you
  • myfp67
    myfp67 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Regarding exercise and fat, you really need energy in a form other than fat to exercise for all apart from the lightest of exercise. The harder you exercise, the higher the ratio of glycogen to fat is used. Your glycogen stores are not very big - especially in people not used to exercising. Unfortunately, once these are used up you will not be able to exercise fully - on a bike going at a half decent rate you will 'bonk'. It's a horrible feeling - why many cyclists carry jelly babies or Haribos - gets sugar into the blood stream immediately. You can even get this low on sugar when doing strenuous walking.

Sometimes though it is good to do fasted exercise - exercise with no food. But really, when exercising for long (over about 90 minutes) periods you need to replace the calories.

The one time when I think it may be good to have a deficit is at night before going to bed. This is my view but going to bed hungry should be OK - you are using calories at such a slow rate overnight that you should use your fat reserves. Likewise, going to bed having eaten late may result in the energy in the food being turned into fat and stored.

It's complicated. Even top athletes sometimes get their food intake wrong sometimes. I remember doing a 110 mile sportive a couple of years ago but cycled the twenty miles to the start whereas my training partner drove. We both set off but I had depleted my legs of energy and not replenished them enough before the start. Half way through I had to let her go and I went at my much slower pace. Still managed to finish but was living on the energy powder (maltodextrin and fructose) to fuel my ride.

To the OP, as others have said - plug your stats into the app (weight, age and how active you are) and it will give you a daily calorie count. At the end of each day when you press 'complete diary' the app will advise where you will be in five weeks time.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    myfp67 wrote: »
    At the end of each day when you press 'complete diary' the app will advise where you will be in five weeks time.

And then you can completely ignore what it tells you.

Yes, MFP will tell you what you'll weigh in 5 weeks time IF EVERY DAY WAS LIKE TODAY. The problem is, every day won't be like today - even if you eat exactly the same in the same quantities, which is highly unlikely, you'll probably move around at different times for different durations at different intensities and you'll probably drink a different amount of fluid. The temperature may be different, you may sweat a different amount etc etc etc. Take that info with a huge pinch of salt. It's interesting and gives you an idea as to whether you're on track, but it's not definitive. Where I found it most interesting is if I over-eat a bit (or a lot) - I can see that it's not the end of the world. I know I'm not going to over-eat like that, every day, for the next 35 days but, even if I do, my gain will only be x so today's blow-out hasn't completely derailed all my effort so far.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Circling back to OP’s question and ignoring the overcomplications made here: OP, do whatever exercise you want/like unless your doctor advises otherwise. Just start easy to prevent injury, and learn correct techniques.

My BMI is 32,7 so pretty close to yours. I personally like walking, weightlifting and I have periods where I’m really into running. I sometimes do yoga, and I’m starting to enjoy biking again for the first time since my teenage years. I signed up for an aerial acrobatics class that was supposed to happen already, but it was postponed due to lockdown. I’ve tried wall climbing (fun!), trampoline jumping (fun!), kayaking (fun!), SUP boarding (fun!), laser tag (fun!), snowboarding (fun!), figure skating (fun!) and countless other activities. The only sport where my BMI has ever been an issue was horseback riding, where they had a weight limit to protect the horses so I couldn’t go.

It takes some time to build up strength, stamina and agility to make things more fun, but the sky is the limit. If you have the resources, invest in some good gear. Good doesn’t mean expensive, it means good shoes that fit you comfortably, a good bra that stops the jiggle, and pants that stay on, don’t limit movement and (in my opinion) are high enough to come over your tummy and keep it in to prevent extra jiggle.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    How about walking? Get yourself your favourite music or podcast and just get moving. But as has been said, eating fewer calories than you are burning is all that is needed for weight loss. Getting fit/strong is different!

You could also look at youtube for online fitness videos. Do what you can to start with, even if it's skipping every other exercise to rest, you'll soon notice an improvement :)
  • Caecile84
    Caecile84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you don't know where to start, swimming, cycling or weightlifting would be great for now, risk of injury isn't very high and you'd be able to burn some extra calories. As soon as you have lost some weight and have built some stamina, you could add walking or even jogging. As others have said, in the end it is most important to find something you like as it will be so much easier to stick with it