lazy river water walking

Options
BuffyBourbon
BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Everyone,
I'm sorry for the bother, i did a search and didn't see it anywhere. I'm starting a class today with the local RC, there is a lazy river at the water park, and the class is to walk/run against the current for about 45 minutes. I'm trying to figure out how to log the exercise - the best i've found is water aerobics but i'm wondering if you have a different suggestion? The RC says it's more intense and a harder workout than their water aerobics class, they rank it at intermediate difficulty where they rank water aerobics as beginner difficulty. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    That sounds fun! Sorry, no help on the logging.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    i Did a lot of lazy river walking last summer, but with the current. I just logged it as walking. But against the current would be much harder, so I don’t know either. Sorry.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just log it as water aerobics and see how you get on with that, it's hard to find an accurate calorie burn for a lot of exercises, you can but see how it goes and see if your weight does what it's meant to be doing after a couple of weeks and adjust accordingly.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    i Did a lot of lazy river walking last summer, but with the current. I just logged it as walking. But against the current would be much harder, so I don’t know either. Sorry.

There would be more resistance maybe, different not necessarily more of a burner, as you're not moving your weight as you are regular walking.

I'd be tempted to log it as the lowest swimming rate.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome exercise. So good for your feet and legs. I wish it was available in my area. For sure it's more of a burn than regular walking, the burn would be comparable to walking on an incline.
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    Thanks guys, I logged it as water aerobics and we'll see how that does me! It was a blast - if you have a chance you should definitely do it. The river is a half mile circuit, and at about halfway on each side of it there was an instructor changing our task. We started one lap just walking with the current to warm up, then turned around and walked 1 lap against, which was about 3x as difficult as i expected, and then we started doing half laps of different things, like lunges, backward, sideways, and grapevines - i discovered i'm not coordinated enough to grapevine out of the water, let alone in the water against a current! Anyway it was a blast and i highly recommend it!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Under cardio, there is an option for "Water Jogging". That is probably the closest you get to accurate calories.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    That sounds so fun!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,479 Member
    Options
    Do they do it at a special time?it sounds like fun, and I’m Deep South so the water aspect is appealing.

But I have this mental image of either hacking your way upstream like a jungle explorer or else being clobbered by wee kids and red necks on floats and innertubes.
  • BuffyBourbon
    Options
    The water park closes at 7 for general public, and then the local RC has it rented for classes. So only the river runners are in the lazy river, and they also have a water Zumba class in the tide pool, and i think another class but i missed who they were. It's pretty neat really! Nobody is in the park except people taking classes, instructors, and life guards. And because of covid they're limiting it to 30 people per class right now, i think normally they cap it at 60 which is fine for the size of the park. Looking at the schedule it looks like they have a round at 7 and a round at 8, and do 4 sessions per summer normally (they'll just do 2 sessions this summer).