373 calories over

Options
Hi I’ve gone over my calories today by 373. How do you react to this. I want to know how I should feel as at the moment I am feeling panic, and that I am rubbish. Thank you

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • pins1982
    pins1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day, don’t eat yourself up about it.x
  • vcgmh
    vcgmh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Calories happen
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I try one or more of these mantras..
    - Tomorrow is a new day.
    - This is a stumble, it isn’t a fall.
    - It happens. Try not to freak out.
    - What do I need to do differently tomorrow?

Anything that is a pep talk/positive for you. Or a distraction like going for a walk, or putting on some music and singing and dancing. Don’t beat yourself up. ❤️
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you selected 1lb/week weight loss goal you were still in a deficit.
    If you selected 2lb/week weight loss goal you were still in a substantial deficit.

Why does it make you panic? To me that's the bigger problem than going slightly over goal.
  • huggit
    huggit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you selected 2lb/week weight loss goal you were still in a substantial deficit.

Why does it make you panic? To me that's the bigger problem than going slightly over goal.

I think I panic because I worry that like all the times before I will fail. 😔

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. Just say "**it happens" and stick to allotted calories tomorrow.
  • Betcava1
    Betcava1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you have to consider your weekly balance not daily. Our body doesn't have reaction within 24 hours but for a longer period.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Does this happen often, or rarely? If it happens often, your daily calorie goal may be too aggressive. You can fix that by upping your calories a bit. If it's a rare occurrence, then log it and move on. Feeling panicky and rubbish are not good. Weight loss can take a long time, and life happens. Just don't throw in the towel and you'll be fine.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    huggit wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

I think I panic because I worry that like all the times before I will fail. 😔

@huggit

The surefire way not to fail is to show up each and every day. No matter what happens the day before, no matter what the plan is for the day in front of you, just show up. While I do not need to do it as much now it is my habit to say the phrase "Time to start the day" which is my showing up ritual.

You have to be in charge of the plan not the other way around. It needs to suit you. It needs to be flexible enough to work in your life. It needs to be easy enough to execute on the hard days that you are not white-knuckling your way through. Losing weight should not be endless days of misery if it is you need a different way forward. Be DEMANDING of your plan and keep adapting it as you go and learn from mistakes.

Remember that your life doesn't stop because you have chosen to lose weight. Special occasions, holidays, and vacations will continue to happen. You don't have to lose weight each day you have to lose weight most days.

As far as my reaction for going over my calories... I don't like it if I have not planned to do it in advance but my plan is my life and my life is messy and I am imperfect. I spend a moment to be accountable for any mistake I have made that led to the overage, contemplate if there is something I can learn to avoid it in the future (often not), and move on.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What are your maintenance calories? Do you know?

Learning what my maintenance calories were really helped keep me from "freaking out" when I went a bit over my weight loss calorie goal.

My maintenance calories are approximately 2400. My weight loss calorie goal currently is 1650. Before I knew what my maintenance was, I would freak out if I "screwed up" and ate 2000 calories in a day. But now, I know that 2000 calories is still a deficit, a smaller deficit, but still a deficit. I gained a lot of peace of mind when I figured this out.

If you want help figuring out your maintenance calories, let me know! I'll need your age, height, current weight and goal weight, activity level (not counting exercise) and what your weekly exercise looks like.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Please lighten up with this!! You are most certainly not rubbish! You missed an extremely minor goal but will hopefully have many years of being on track!

Think of a lifestyle change for the long term. 373 calories probably still has you in deficit anyway!! Just move on and celebrate when you find your health improving even by a small metric!!

I often went thousands of calories over and still lost weight just a little more slowly.