Success stories for losing by mainly portion control

Options
Hi everyone, I'm hoping some people can share their success stories with me by losing using just portion control. I've tried so many diet plans and have only had limited success. I recently tried keto and that just didn't work for me (always had diarrhea). I like eating real food (actual mixed meals not little pile of carrots, little pile of nuts, little pile of avocado, etc). Thank you. :)

Replies

• ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I can't do the one meal a day eating either because I get too light headed, but can do intermittent fasting where I eat from 11 to 7 only. I have done several paid trainer plans, but didn't like the plans. The last plan had a breakfast which included 'fish', sorry, I just can't do fish for breakfast. I'm good also with not binge eating anymore.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet but I've lost 50lb as if this morning by portion control and walking. Nothing has been dropped from my diet. I had cookies and milk for a snack today, a rum and coke yesterday. I just fot it into my day's calories and the weight has been steadily coming off.
    I like rum & cokes too! I think I'll swap that for my beer.

• asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm not at goal yet but I've lost 50lb as if this morning by portion control and walking. Nothing has been dropped from my diet. I had cookies and milk for a snack today, a rum and coke yesterday. I just fot it into my day's calories and the weight has been steadily coming off.
    I like rum & cokes too! I think I'll swap that for my beer.

Rum only has 70 calories an ounce. If you go sugar free for the cola (I have a Sodastream so I can sweeten it with whatever I want) you have a pretty reasonable treat if you don't overindulge.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17kg still eating the same foods as before. My portions for some things are smaller, but mostly it's just less of the higher cal items and more protein / veg.

Instead of a large pile of rice, I cook it in bulk and bag up 100g portions to freeze. 100g with chilli or curry or stirfry or whatever, plus additional veg, is usually quite enough to soak up any juices. Instead of a mug of pasta and maybe another handful too, I weigh out however many grams I planned to eat (based on how I'm doing with my cals for that day). Instead of a lot of roast potatoes, I have two or three smaller pieces. I'll boil a number of potatoes at the same time, mash them (without butter or milk) and freeze that in smaller portion sizes. I add butter to what actually goes on my plate when I reheat a portion.

However, I still eat cake, crisps, biscuits, wine, beer and other things that some people would call 'unhealthy'. I just don't have the entire pack or multiple glasses. But if I fancy something and it fits my calories and my carbs, that's fine.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    All life is portion control for me. However, I have the freedom to designate and control how big or how small those portions will be. As long as I meet my bottom line, I’m good.

This morning’s breakfast was two gourmet donuts at nearly 1,000 calories. Lunch was two BLTs.

Dinner will be homemade hearty beef stew, under 300 for a generous portion.

Afternoon snacks were a piece of pie and a couple tbsp whipped cream, beef jerky, and some cherries, and after dinner dessert will be Greek yogurt with pudding mix, cool whip and sprinkles.

All should come in about 2200.

Portion control is New Me, forbidding Old Me from scarfing down a half dozen of those giant donuts, slapping extra bacon on those BLTs, or covering a giant scoop of cool whip in a big spoonful of sprinkles. Just a dab’ll do ya.

This doesn’t have to be difficult. Weigh, be mindful, be honest, and don’t overthink.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    All life is portion control for me. However, I have the freedom to designate and control how big or how small those portions will be. As long as I meet my bottom line, I’m good.

This morning’s breakfast was two gourmet donuts at nearly 1,000 calories. Lunch was two BLTs.

Dinner will be homemade hearty beef stew, under 300 for a generous portion.

Afternoon snacks were a piece of pie and a couple tbsp whipped cream, beef jerky, and some cherries, and after dinner dessert will be Greek yogurt with pudding mix, cool whip and sprinkles.

All should come in about 2200.

Portion control is New Me, forbidding Old Me from scarfing down a half dozen of those giant donuts, slapping extra bacon on those BLTs, or covering a giant scoop of cool whip in a big spoonful of sprinkles. Just a dab’ll do ya.

This doesn’t have to be difficult. Weigh, be mindful, be honest, and don’t overthink.

This is great. It is so much easier sticking with things when you can enjoy things too!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Yup, pretty much just portion control. I eat (and drink) generally the same things I did to become obese, and stay obese for multiple decades, just in different portions and proportions.

Don't get me wrong: I think nutrition is important, so it's part of the picture, along with satiation, tastiness, practicality, and various other factors I balance with my calorie goals.

But life is way too short, IMO, to eat foods that aren't tasty (to me).

FWIW, this is the eating plan I used (link below), focused on eating foods one likes, gradually evolving the portions/proportions to balance the various things mentioned above, among others.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I use a salad plate, not a dinner plate, and don’t have seconds of anything except veggies/salads.