Completely non MFP related but anyone on here a vet?

Options
Hi
I know this has absolutely nothing to do with MFP or diets etc but I need some advice from a vet.
I have an 11 year old Labrador Cross who is house trained. Yesterday I came home at lunchtime like I do every day and he had messed on the carpet. I thought it was a one off as over the years it's happened a couple of times but when I came home yesterday evening he had done it again and also again this lunchtime!
I even put newspaper down this morning after yesterday but didn't quite have enough to cover the whole room and he messed on the part that was not covered.
I'm dreading going home tonight! My hubby is away with work at the moment, I thought he was missing him but he's been away before for even longer periods and he's never done this.
We have also just started keeping chickens and I am thinking that maybe he's a bit jealous but we keep reassuring him he's loved the most and at the end of the day he is the one allowed in the house and not them!
Only other thing I can think of is his food. We haven't changed it, we feed him Pedigree or Winalot canned food depending on which one is on offer. The last 2 nights he's had the same flavour. Maybe it's that variety that's not agreeing with him all of a sudden?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you :smile:

Replies

• justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Is it number 2 mess or number 1 mess?
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a vet student (2 years to go). Perhaps it relates to the chickens in that he's picked up a parasite or virus or something from them? Are they all healthy? You could try feeding him on plain food like chicken and rice in case he's got an upset stomach and see if that helps.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vet, but have three big dogs so I've had my share of experiences to say the least. If it's poo, I would venture to guess it's the food not agreeing with him stomach. If it's pee, that could be an attention issue. I've had that problem with a male dog plenty of times. Good luck, I know the cleaning up is not pleasant.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's number twos :sad: :explode: :angry: :mad:
  • purplepollypops
    Options
    I'm a vet student (2 years to go). Perhaps it relates to the chickens in that he's picked up a parasite or virus or something from them? Are they all healthy? You could try feeding him on plain food like chicken and rice in case he's got an upset stomach and see if that helps.

The chickens are 100% healthy. All had their vaccinations etc. He hasn't got that close to them, just goes up to their cage and barks at them!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    20 year submarine vet =)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Former vet tech. :smile:

Take a poop sample to your vet. You shouldn't need an office visit if you're a fairly regular (up to date on vaccinations) client. It might be some kind of intestinal parasite, tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms, coccidia, etc. that isn't visible to the naked eye. When the vet checks the poop, they do a fecal float and look under the microscope for amoebas or eggs. Then you'll get the right medication for the problem. The vet can also dispense or suggest medication to help firm things up a bit. Different parasites require different treatments, so don't bother with over the counter medication.

If his poop is runny very soft, you can mix plain cooked white rice with boiled hamburger or chicken, and feed him small amounts several times a day to help settle his stomach. Then slowly over the course of the next few days, mix more of his regular food in with the meat & rice mixture.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Does he have the dreaded Dire Rear or is it just normal poop? How is he in himself? If mines got the squits I skip his next meal and then starting with the one after that give him chicken and rice or chicken and mashed potato for a few days. If it goes on longer than a couple of days I head to the vets. Ruperts is usually just that he's eaten something that doesn't agree with him.

How long is he being left for? Could it be that as he's getting older he can't hold it like he used to?
  • bridetobe310711
    Options
    hi i aint a vet but i have a simular situation at the moment. i have a 14 month old lab retreiver... we recently got two kittens and she has started doing number ones and twos... think it is a attention thing xx
  • purplepollypops
    Options
    Does he have the dreaded Dire Rear or is it just normal poop? How is he in himself? If mines got the squits I skip his next meal and then starting with the one after that give him chicken and rice or chicken and mashed potato for a few days. If it goes on longer than a couple of days I head to the vets. Ruperts is usually just that he's eaten something that doesn't agree with him.

How long is he being left for? Could it be that as he's getting older he can't hold it like he used to?

It's kind of half and half. He seems fine in himself although I think he is a bit jealous of the chickens.

I'm having chicken for dinner tonight so maybe I'll save some for him and give him that instead of his usual food.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Is his poop mucousy? He could have colitis. I'd take him in to see your vet and take a poop sample with you.
  • purplepollypops
    Options
    Took him to the vets and they think it's just a bad case of diarrhoea so given him antibiotics and told me to feed him on rice and chicken for next couple of days.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.