Prediabetes

Options
Hi group! I joined to lose about 10 pounds and to address some elevated fasting blood glucose levels which indicate prediabetes. My goal is to be more intentional about watching what I eat and how much I exercise. I hope that tracking by using MyFitnessPal will provide that motivation. I am open to suggestions from others about how to address the prediabetes, especially the "Dawn Phenomenon".

Replies

• Tophers_Motivation
    Tophers_Motivation Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as diabetic about three years ago. I did so well on my diet and getting exercise, a new doctor said it's probably more like prediabetic. However, I've been working 12 hour days at a desk job and getting no exercise. And while I don't feel like I've gotten off plan with what I eat, I'm a little afraid of my next round of test numbers. So today I actually lifted weights for a few moments and plan to get in a walk today. (It doesn't take long for you to get back out of shape.) I'm hoping to get back on here more often and force myself to exercise. I really did used to love it (mostly getting outdoors and walking/hiking.)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @pharmcat56 You've hit the nail right on the head. Boom. You, too, @Tophers_Motivation.

This is not always talked about but one out three are now considered to be prediabetic.

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/basics/prediabetes.html#:~:text=Prediabetes is a serious health,t know they have it.

Many have it and we just can't waltz around the issue in the living room. At some point, T2 will refuse to be ignored. While we may find the discussion to be uncomfortable we have to face it head on. We simply haven't got the time to go into all of the early precursors but constant yoyo dieting will only dig you into a much deeper hole with food and T2. Then there's binge eating which goes hand in hand with T2, too.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6728934/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32341661/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25841588/

Got yoyo dieting along with binge eating? See a doctor. Get your blood profile checked before T2 shows up on your doorstep. You'll be glad you did. The sooner we can get a grip on it we can start to heal the pancreas before it's full blown diabetes. Every day and every year that goes by the ground grows colder.

Yoyo dieting, constant stops and starts won't fix blood sugar or prevent diabetes. Life has no pause button. There is no timeout. There's only choices and consequences. The predictable consequence for a lifetime filled with wild swings UP and down with weight, constant stops and starts followed by long term frustration can end up in T2.

Much thanks, you two. When it comes to our overall health and well being, we cannot half-@$$ it. This is serious business.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,451 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes when I was hospitalized for 9 days due to the flu/pneumonia back in Jan. 2019 ...I was on insulin ...metformin .... I am no longer on insulin...I still take metformin...my A1c was 6.1 a few months ago .... I am back on keto trying to get off all my meds and lower my a1c even more .....Wishing you the very best :)
  • Tophers_Motivation
    Options
    Yeah, the dietician I talked to commented that she wished they could just put medication in the drinking water because MOST people with it don't know it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    pharmcat56 wrote: »
    Hi group! I joined to lose about 10 pounds and to address some elevated fasting blood glucose levels which indicate prediabetes. My goal is to be more intentional about watching what I eat and how much I exercise. I hope that tracking by using MyFitnessPal will provide that motivation. I am open to suggestions from others about how to address the prediabetes, especially the "Dawn Phenomenon".

I have been pre-diabetic for 16 years. I have kept full blown diabetes at bay through activity and being conscious about my eating habits. Eating as nutritionally as you can and watching your weight definitely help but more than anything, my glucose numbers are best when I am active. My best advice is to get out and walk, and eat within your calorie allowance (include all things you enjoy just in smaller portions - if you do restrictive eating it will work for a while but almost always ends up in failure).
    If you can, introduce weight resistance with a trainer if you can afford it until you learn proper form and the basics. Weight resistance helps you build lean muscle as well as improving your balance and your mobility. Try different activities like yoga, cardio kick-boxing, biking...anything until you find what really motivates you. Exercise doesn't have to be torture (and it shouldn't be). Find something you like and do it. Good luck to you!
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/dangers-yo-yo-dieting/

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302773

Weight cycling. Wild swings UP and down.

"Weight cycling means losing weight, then regaining it, then repeating the cycle. When this weight loss is the result of dieting, the process is often called “yo-yo dieting.” New studies show that weight cycling contributes to heart disease and earlier death.

The doctors who preach “lose weight” to people with diabetes need to learn the dangers of weight cycling. Their prescriptions for weight loss may be doing more harm than good.

A new study in The New England Journal of Medicine found that, in patients with coronary heart disease (CHD), weight cycling was strongly associated with heart attacks, strokes, and death. Lead author Dr. Sripal Bangalore of New York University reported that the more weight subjects had lost and regained, the greater the risk.

The study reviewed records of roughly 9,500 people with heart disease. The data collection started in 2005. After a year of the study, participants continued to report their weight, among other factors, every six months.

Those whose weight had swung by an average of 8.5 pounds had a 124% increased risk of death, 117% increased risk of heart attack, and 136% increased risk of stroke compared to people whose weight had changed by 2 pounds or less. People with the greatest swings in weight also had a 78% increased risk of diabetes, even after correcting for all traditional risk factors.

The risk of weight cycling has been found before. In the Framingham Heart Study, which has been going on nearly 70 years, people whose weight swung up and down over the years were more likely to die of heart disease and strokes than people with more stable weights.

How weight cycling hurts
    Previous studies have shown risk for high blood pressure and high cholesterol among yo-yo dieters.

An article in the International Journal of Obesity reported that weight cycling may contribute to heart and blood vessel disease in several ways. These include high blood pressure, increased fat around the abdominal organs, changes in fatty acid composition, insulin resistance, and increased cholesterol.

Weight cycling leads to changes in heart rate, stress hormones, kidney function, blood glucose, and lipids. These factors can worsen, “with overshoots above normal values during weight regain periods.” The authors say these overshoots “when repeated over time, will stress the cardiovascular system and probably contribute to the overall cardiovascular [risk] of weight cycling.”

A recent British study of over 170,000 people found that the chances of achieving even a 5% weight loss were 1 in 7 for severely obese women and 1 in 8 for severely obese men. The chances of attaining a normal weight were 1 in 210 for obese men and 1 in 124 for obese women.

Bodies try hard to regain lost weight, because they feel safer with more fat. This happens because, for millions of years, the major threat to survival was not having enough food. Fat protects against famine, so bodies want to keep it.

Metabolism slows down after weight loss, and levels of hunger hormones go up. Food even starts to taste better. Weight cycling is the norm, not an exception. It’s even worse when loss and regain are rapid, as often happens with commercial diet products.

Avoiding the weight cycle
    So if you’re heavy and have diabetes, should you try to lose weight? How do you avoid weight cycling?

One rule is not to do anything to lose weight that you won’t be happy doing for the rest of your life. Moving your body more and eating healthier food that you enjoy are good ideas.

Restricting calories and cutting out things you like are usually bad ideas. You probably won’t be able to keep them up, and when you go back to your old ways, your weight will return, with interest."

Rebound weight gain with friends. Sux. B)

• Tophers_Motivation
    Options
    Ran to the store on my lunch break and bought some new walking shoots. Ready to kick some A1C butt.
  • Diatonic12
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Tophers_Motivation There you go. Now you're talkin'. I ran over one of my Leki poles as I was backing out. It was propped up against a tree. I found another pair but not nearly as nice as my original ones. Let's kick some serious blood sugar @$$.

• astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    pharmcat56 wrote: »
    I was just learning about this in my exercise prescription class. Aerobic exercise has shown to be the most effective at lowering blood glucose, so I would recommend walking 30-60 minutes a day, 3-5 days a week. If you are having prediabetic symptoms, however, I would recommend seeing your doctor prior to starting any exercise. Those at greatest risk of diabetes are sedentary people, so addressing movement and physical activity of at least 30 minutes 3-5 days per week would be beneficial. Good for you for getting on here and paying attention to your health!
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    One of my favorite threads, 'What nobody tells you about weight loss'.

Variation on a theme. What nobody tells you about diabetes.

It's not true that you can only get T1 as a child. You can get it at any age. Sometimes, T1 is misdiagnosed as T2.
    The blood needs to be tested for certain antibodies. Your doctor should be able to tell the difference.

Sugar may not be cause of diabetes per se but obesity is a major risk factor.

Many already have the precursors and signs of T2 but they just don't know it yet. It can take months resulting in years before symptoms give you a clue. Got blurry vision, hands going to sleep or tingling when you wake up?

Go get a blood test sooner rather than later. It will give you a picture of your blood glucose levels over the past 3 months. A1C.

Don't sit on the couch at the speed of zero. It's human nature to wait until your T2 diagnosis shows up on your doorstep before you decide to exercise. Exercise isn't about 'losing' weight. Exercise improves and increases your insulin sensitivity which lowers your blood glucose levels.

Even one exercise excursion can improve your insulin sensitivity by 50% for as long as 72 hours afterwards. Get off the couch and simply walk outside your door. Keep going until you can't go anymore, then come back home.
    You don't have to count your steps, you don't have to hit 10,000 right out of the chute. People get discouraged if they can't hit their 10,000 and it blows their motivation. More All or Nothing Thinking with food and exercise will only dig you into a much deeper hole.

Stay focused on doing more every day instead of hitting a perfect 10,000 steps. Goals of perfection with food and exercise backfire. All movement counts. Don't discount your efforts because you go for a hike or a walk. It adds up.

• Diatonic12
    Options
    One more.

Can't quit eating. Got a ravenous appetite? Binge eating is one of the precursors of T2 diabetes. Binge eating along with yoyo dieting and wild swings UP and down with your weight can lead you right into diabetes. They go hand in hand together.

If you cannot quit binge eating you could be well on your pathway to diabetes. Face it and look it directly in the eye. Yoyo dieting and serial dieting by starting over and over won't fix diabetes.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    Diabetes seems so patently unfair. It deprives you of quality of health. It shortens your life and what you endure at the end....well, I'm not going out like that. There's a reason I'm still here. There's a reason that I fight like hail. I've lost dear loved ones to WLS and diabetes.

Throw all of that dieting dogma right out the window. Give yourselves permission to create your own positive food management plan. We can learn to moderate food and portions. I'm here to tell you that it works.

Don't over complicate it. Don't overthink it. You don't have to follow someone else's rigid food rules and regulations or follow food gurus right over a cliff. It's going to take focus and direction. A lack of direction and flying by the seat of your pants won't get you there.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    I just took it back outside and I hiked straight UP a mountainside with my Leki poles. I gave it all I had. There's a mountainside out my back door.

I only fight like hail against diabetes. I fight for myself. I'm debate free on purpose and I don't aim to shame. No one one has all of the answers.

Don't sit around and wait for someone else to constantly prop you UP. That's not happening. They're too busy taking of themselves and frankly, it's exhausting.

Happy Father's Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQe3DKDQRRs
  • Diatonic12
    edited June 2020
    Options
    https://www.obesityaction.org/get-educated/public-resources/brochures-guides/understanding-excess-weight-and-its-role-in-type-2-diabetes-brochure/

How long has this been going on?

Fighting against obesity for a decade or more. There's your sign. You need to get an A1C test sooner rather than later. Carrying 30 lbs or more around your middle for over a decade can be the handwriting on the wall for what's up ahead. T2 diabetes.

T2 is going to affect your desire to drop it like it's hot. It's not going to happen. Getting all discouraged because your body keeps fighting against you is not going to fix it.

You've just hit the wall of insulin resistance. You've got to face it head on. All of the typical stock answers may not work for you because your blood sugar is high and insulin resistance can knock all of the props right out from underneath you.

It's going to take some serious patience and due diligence. Go to the doctor and find out what's going on with you. For real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGP9uz4s8hQ
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is that dawn phenomenon is not strongly correlated with adverse health outcomes, so don’t stress about those morning fasting numbers. What is more concerning is high numbers after eating.

Dawn phenomenon can be helped, for some people, by a small not-carby snack such as a slice of cheese right at bedtime. For me, the other thing that helps those numbers is getting up immediately and testing instead of lying in bed, reading, or otherwise delaying testing. Enough sleep can also make a difference. My morning numbers are also usually low the morning after a heavy lifting session.

If you are only 10 lbs overweight and having a1c problems, then you may be one of the folks who have an unfortunate genetic predisposition, in which case there may not be much you can do in the long run. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do your best! Regular cardio and especially heavy lifting both help insulin sensitivity. Dawn phenomenon in particular is caused by stress hormones blocking the action of insulin, so work on your stress levels. Also, metformin. Metformin is great stuff if your digestive system tolerates it well.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    When I was 18 yrs old, we had a good ol' country doctor. He could tell and knew all of the precursors of T2. Hails Bells, he was right. I blew him off because it scared the hail right outta me. I didn't want to hear it. I should've started then but I didn't. I would've been so much further ahead.

With every day and year that goes by the ground grows colder. Got wild swings UP and down with your weight. Always thinking there's another diet coming around the corner that will fix it for you. It won't.

Face the music. Your body is trying to tell you something.

CDC. It's now 1 in 3. Prediabetes or full blown diabetes if you've blown all the signs along the highway off.

So when all of the usual things no longer work for you it's time to get tested. Look yourself directly in the eyes and don't wait for another year to pass you by.

• Diatonic12
    Options
    https://www.ontrackdiabetes.com/eating-well/portion-control-when-you-have-type-2-diabetes#:~:text=Being overweight can increase insulin,better when you lose weight.

"Being overweight can increase insulin resistance (when your body can no longer properly use insulin).

Losing weight with type 2 diabetes by downsizing your portions can help you become less insulin resistant. Your body may be able to use insulin better when you lose weight.

Controlling portion sizes isn't as challenging as you might think—it's a very basic, easy change to make, and you won't need any fancy tools."

"Following these portion control basic guidelines has major benefits, and it's encouraging to see results. But you need to be patient—these changes don't happen overnight. It takes hard work and dedication to lose weight and keep it off, but it's definitely worth it for your health."

A certified diabetes educator or registered dietitian can help you meet your weight loss goals by suggesting meal plans and healthy recipes.

Eating healthy and controlling your portions with type 2 diabetes can significantly help you manage your condition, leading to weight loss and other healthy lifestyle changes.

Portion Control is king.

We can learn to moderate ourselves with foods and portions. Learn how to manage your portions like a boss.
    Keep managing your portions until you cross over the threshold. Keep tooling along waaaay into the future.

You can have the answers to everything but still not be able to do anything. Don't overthink it.

Stop thinking you need a new beginning because there's no such thing as the perfect timing or day to start. Your very next meal is your clean slate if you need to think of it that way. Every day and in every way, it's a new beginning. Everything always looks brighter in the morning.

Portion Control = Long term stability with your weight.