Can drinking water help to lose weight

Options
Hello so I keep hearing that if you drink 2 or more litres of water a day you will lose weight. I have drank 8 pints of water for 2 days and I felt good and actually managed to go to the toilet naturally which is rare for me not to have to rely on laxatives so that was nice however today I have a birthday party so will be eating unhealthily and no water. But I’m just curious if I drink 8 pints of water for a week will I lose weight

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How exactly is drinking this or any other amount of water affecting your calorie balance?

Is the tap or the bathroom a long way away?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The long answer is: no
  • holly8312
    holly8312 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You might initially lose some water weight if you suddenly up your water intake drastically, but it won't cause you to lose weight long-term
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies - Thanks for that. I’ve been contemplating doing some stupid stuff given I’ve been .6 -1.2 pounds away from my goal weight for the last two weeks. I wanted to reach it by my birthday on Sat. Wise words!
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Keeping hydrated will help if you are exercising to help lose weight.Eating less calories helps you lose weight...but if your going to eat less calories and exercise, water will be your best friend xx like novus said, don’t concerntrate on losing it too fast, as you will just put it all back on again
    Losing weight is good, that’s what we are all here for, but it’s making me realise that the eating lifestyle I had, is bad...too much candy,chocolate,junk food etc.And now I have replaced it with good foods or less foods (calorie deficit)
    I do have days where I have treats but I don’t eat them on a daily basis xx
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    As an aside...why wouldn't you have any water just because you're having a birthday party. I had a poolside BBQ last weekend and drank plenty of other beverages...but I also drank water, especially earlier in the day. Having a party doesn't preclude you from drinking water that day.

As to losing weight...drinking water doesn't really have anything to do with that outside of staying hydrated makes your body just work better in general. Weight management is about energy balance or lack thereof.
  • xx1chloe5xx
    xx1chloe5xx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 because I will be drinking alcohol or coke so won’t have time for water and Even if I do I don’t fancy having to run to the toilet every few seconds at a party
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 because I will be drinking alcohol or coke so won’t have time for water and Even if I do I don’t fancy having to run to the toilet every few seconds at a party

Okay, but even regular coke is like 90% water so it counts towards your water goal for the day (as do the foods you eat, coffee, diet coke, etc)
  • xx1chloe5xx
    xx1chloe5xx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

What is no about the advice she gave?