No progress at all!

Options
I usually find the first half a stone fairly easy to shift when I start eating healthier and working out. Its mostly water then I settle down to 1-2 lbs a week.

For the past month I have cut down on carbs, increased protein, keeping to calorie defecit, drinking lots more water, running every day, doing HIT a few times a week.

I havent lost a single pound! I dont understand how it can be possible? I have gone down a size and I look and feel better. Im trying to focus on that. But its so disheartening each week to stand on scales and see no difference. Why havent I even lost some water weight?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Within a single month if I went down a size but hadn't lost a pound, I'd first validate that my scale was working properly and then I would probably consider that I had some temporary water weight due to my increased activity that was "disguising" my weight loss. This is relatively common. Another thing I would look at was the accuracy of my estimates of calories in - are you using a scale for solid food, choosing correct database entries, etc? In the 4-6 weeks without weight loss range is when I would begin to consider that I might not really be in a deficit.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do use scales and have just started logging food here again to make sure I am really in a defecit. My daily cal target was 1400, but I have just changed it to 1200 to see if that helps a bit. I will try be even more precise in what I enter here.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you only have a half a stone to lose it's going to be very, very, very, slow going and requires very accurate logging. Be aware that many of the database entries aren't accurate. With a small deficit, 1/4 or 1/2 a pound may not even register on some scales. I'd look like I was the same, still the same, still the same, ooh I've lost a lb. In reality, it had been creeping down the whole time.

To be given a target of 1400, what rate of weight loss did you select? Having been given 1400, why do you think you should only eat 1200?
  • jennibear22
    Options
    If you only have a half a stone to lose it's going to be very, very, very, slow going and requires very accurate logging. Be aware that many of the database entries aren't accurate. With a small deficit, 1/4 or 1/2 a pound may not even register on some scales. I'd look like I was the same, still the same, still the same, ooh I've lost a lb. In reality, it had been creeping down the whole time.

To be given a target of 1400, what rate of weight loss did you select? Having been given 1400, why do you think you should only eat 1200?

Hi I have a lot more to lose than that. Prob 30 pounds. I just usually find the first half a stone comes up quick but this time it hasnt.

I changed it to 1200 because not seen any weighloss in a month. So thought maybe 1400 just too high for me. Im 5'3.
  • jennibear22
    Options
    I think you meant you expected to lose 7 pounds in a week or two, then continue at 1-2 pounds a week? How much are you trying to lose overall, to get to a healthy weight?

Being accurate on the food logging AND giving this time are the important details. Looking at your food log, how much does your 100 calorie 'toast quantity 1' weigh and is really always 100 calories? How much does your 1 tablespoon of peanut butter weigh, and is it really 120 calories? If those entries are off by 25-50% (easy to do with peanut butter especially) then that 220 daily could be 275-330. Similar errors can happen elsewhere without using a food scale. On the 14th, how much did your chicken breast weigh? Using database entries for something like '1 chicken breast' or '1 small apple' are vague and largely inaccurate because they are not based on the weight of the food item.

Whenever possible, use the weight of the food item and an accurate diary entry that lists nutritional details based on weight. Sometimes estimating is necessary, but consider that estimating on some food will have a greater margin of error than others. Peanut butter is a good example as its calorie dense. On the other hand, whether you have 38 grams of spinach in a salad or 55 grams of spinach: not much difference in the calorie total.

Try not to be disheartened. This really is a life long process, and giving up now and reverting to old habits will NOT get you where you want to go. You can do this!

Probably around 30 pounds to be my ideal weight. Yes you are right, I just meant I expected the first 7lbs to come off in first couple of weeks.

Ive started running and strength training so thinking it could be water retention and muscle so will try to look at averages also each week.

I will try to use weights instead of estimates, I usually try to leave a bit of a defecit each day for any margin of error too.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    syup8k29l0ij.png
    doesgbf1zo3t.jpg
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    New exercise & running: likely you are holding onto extra water as your muscles repair and adjust to the new routine. I need to get back to running - getting started again with EVERYTHING is challenging if you know what I mean. One personal experience tip: do not limit yourself too much on calories or it will harm your running program. When I was running, I'd be more hungry on the days after my runs than the days of.

Overall you probably just need to allow this more time. It may help if you highlight non scale victories as well. Such as being able to do more, go further this week than last week.

• MomLarisa
    MomLarisa Posts: 225 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If your scale batteries are good and your logging is actually accurate you should be dropping at least a little after a month. Especially if you still have quite a bit to lose. I think adjusting your calories down is a good idea. Are you eating back your exercise calories? Don't. You may be able to eat them back if you adjusted your total calories down otherwise you may be overestimating your actual burn through the exercise tracker. This can be pretty unique to each person so play around with what you're doing. If you're not seeing the results you want switch it up and be patient. This is a lifestyle. If you are hell bent on just dropping the pounds as fast as possible you'll likely just put them back on when you are at goal weight. Also, I checked your diary. You have a ton of days with zero food being tracked. Where were you tracking it to know you were under your calorie goals? You have to track. @go_deskercise posted exactly what you should be doing. I love that chart it's so right