pre planning help please

Options
Soooo, I'm trying a new approach to get off this plateau I'm on. Pre planning meals. I have demonstrated ability of not being able to handle "winging" my meals. I tend to graze more when I do. But sitting down this morning to plan my day has proved harder than I thought. Advice is appreciated. My pantry is full of your typical "toddler and Kindergartner" friendly foods. Which makes it hard as well. I'm only allowed 1200 calories until I exercise and then it gets bumped up. Here's the plan so far:

Breakfast--279 cal.
(already consumed 2 c coffee with splenda and coffeemate creamer) 19 calories
low sugar oatmeal 130cal
slice of toast w/peanut butter 130 cal.

Lunch--275 cal
Progresso soup--160cal
ham sandwich--115 cal.

Snack--
apple-80cal

Dinner-
Chicken n dumplings 553 cal

Snack--
skinny cow choc fudge 150cal

Total for day 1337cal..
Exercise should add at least 300 calories so that will give me about 1500cal to work with for the day.

Replies

• robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to have a family at home and cook and not eat so from what i see, i think your plan looks great! the best thing yet is to do it for a week! that will not only keep you on track but let your family know what to expect each night! i do a meal plan for the week and on Sunday i take out all of the frozen meats and put it in the fridge to thaw! this works awesome for me because my hubby will help me cook sometimes and he knows exactly whats to be made!
  • abbie017
    Options
    My only concern is that the sodium content of this could be really high, which would cause you to retain water and be self-defeating when ti comes to beating a plateau.

Canned soups are really, really high in sodium, as is deli meat, such as ham. You could easily pack in 1500mg of sodium in those two items alone. I believe (and could be wrong) that dumplings are also fairly high in sodium. Obviously you're the one with the nutrition labels and I could be completely wrong, but just a thought!

Good luck!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    that doesn't look to bad, do you know if that is enough for each meal for you?
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary for the last few days i plan and rotate things. Hope it helps x
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    fried mushrooms and/or green onions
    egg
    whole wheat toast (w sugar free jam)

is another low cal morning. I use Pam cooking spray to fry the egg and mushrooms. (I switched to milk in my coffee)
  • dewpetals
    dewpetals Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if its enough. But I don't know how to fit anymore in within my calorie restraints. I did think about the sodium content but am hoping I can counter that with lots of water. As of right now I don't have any low sodium stuff in the house. The "dumplings" are grands biscuits so not sure how much sodium are in them.

I am not a big egg and bacon kind of breakfast person. I always liked the sweet stuff, LOL. Pancakes n syrup, cinnamon rolls, cereals, bagels n cream cheese..sort of explains why I am overweight ;) I have no idea how to vary breakfast up and add protein without the "eggs".
  • abbie017
    Options
    I am not a big egg and bacon kind of breakfast person. I always liked the sweet stuff, LOL. Pancakes n syrup, cinnamon rolls, cereals, bagels n cream cheese..sort of explains why I am overweight ;) I have no idea how to vary breakfast up and add protein without the "eggs".

What about greek yogurt? I'm not the biggest fan, but the ones that lets you mix in fruit gives you a bit of sweet as well as a good chunk of protein. My boyfriend adds honey to his and he loves it, I have different fruit combinations in mine.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

What about greek yogurt? I'm not the biggest fan, but the ones that lets you mix in fruit gives you a bit of sweet as well as a good chunk of protein. My boyfriend adds honey to his and he loves it, I have different fruit combinations in mine.

I too do this from time to time...Greek Yogurt with fruit or gronola. it is good for you and filling..Im a big egg whites person, so my breakfast is the same day to day. Your preplaning looks pretty good. Can you ditch the biscuit and put your chicken over wheat toast? That may cut 100 cals depending on your bread. Working with just 1200 a day isn't always easy, but doable :)
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    I second the greek yogurt idea. I buy the plain kind and mix in some fruit and a little bit of agave nectar (or you use honey or whatever). Peanut butter is pretty high in the calories and fat for the amount that you get to eat. I'm not knocking nut butters. They are nutritious and delicious, but if you are at a plateu, switching to a food that has more bulk for the amount of calories might help. So, maybe replace some of the fruit and other snacks with some veggies and lean protein (like veggies and hummus). Just some ideas. I know it took me a while to get the hang of pre-planning meals, but once you find a good combo that works for you then it's just a matter of rotating meals.
  • dewpetals
    dewpetals Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I never thought about not eating the dumplings! Excellent idea to put over wheat toast! Will do that with the left overs tomorrow! I do like yogurt if there is granola in it. Will see about adding that to breakfasts too.

I don't have the first fresh veggie in my fridge well except for onions, LOL. Probably should remedy that. If I have veggies its for a salad. Which I never eat fast enough and the lettuce always turns brown and watery. Just a big waste. Thanks for all the help!!