6’ + guys with good metabolism, what do you do to succeed

Options
I’m 6’ 4” doesn’t matter if I work out all the time or barely workout at all. I always look the same. I wanna change that and get a “Fitter looking body”. Looking to find out what you guys have done or currently doing if you had or have the same problem as I do

Replies

• zachmaclean21
    zachmaclean21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon Yeah I do? Even when I played hockey 5 days a week and worked out still my weight would always stay around like a 5 pound difference. Maybe because of not eating as much as I should be? Since I have a really good metabolism I have no idea
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @psuLemon Yeah I do? Even when I played hockey 5 days a week and worked out still my weight would always stay around like a 5 pound difference. Maybe because of not eating as much as I should be? Since I have a really good metabolism I have no idea

As a former college ice hockey player myself, you probably need to eat a ton more food if you want to gain weight. Its also possible that your lifting program is suboptimal for what you are trying to achieve.

I guess we should also define what you mean by your goal? Do you mean you want to weigh more with bigger muscles? Or are we talking bigger while being lean?

And do you have any good pictures you could post to get a look at your physique?
  • zachmaclean21
    zachmaclean21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m about 192 Ibs while being 6’4” so I look pretty tall and slim. For my goal I’m looking to stay around the same weight. So I would say I wanna be bigger while staying lean. I have set a goal to have more protein a day then I have been doing which Trainers have told me I should be doing with my body type
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I’m about 192 Ibs while being 6’4” so I look pretty tall and slim. For my goal I’m looking to stay around the same weight. So I would say I wanna be bigger while staying lean. I have set a goal to have more protein a day then I have been doing which Trainers have told me I should be doing with my body type

If the trainers are structuring a routine, it could have an effect. Do they have you following a split, full body, or random? Are you using a barbell, dumbbells, machines, or all? How often do you lift?

You can try a recomp, albeit a bit slow, where you aim for maintenance calories and lift in hopes of gaining some muscle and losing fat.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I’m 6’1 and 225. I started much much thinner - embarrassingly skinny, to be honest. I learned to log and eat in a consistent surplus, and to lift weights with programming designed for both hypertrophy and strength. It’s taken years and I’m nowhere near my potential. Patience and consistency.

Edit: if you are already relatively lean and plan on recomping at your weight... I’d stress many YEARS of consistency and patience for any real transformation.