In desperate need of new vegetarian recipes

Options
:sad: I need new vegetarian recipes. I'm so tired of black bean soups and other bean based soups. I need a change. Getting bored of the same dishes over and over. I would love if anyone can provide me information on healthy, yet delicious recipes. Thank you!:sad:

10386514.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try nomeatathlete.com. He's got a really good selections of recipes and he recommends the book Thrive though I have never read it.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Here are a few I got off another board:

6 3/4 oz dry lentils, about 1 cup, rinsed
    1/2 cup(s) uncooked brown rice
    2 cup(s) carrot(s), shredded
    3 cup(s) water
    1 packet(s) onion soup mix, reduced-sodium preferred
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp olive oil

Instructions
    Rinse lentils.

Place rice in large pot, bring to boil, reduce heat cook about 15 minutes, place remaining incredients, cook until rice and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. (I usually put the carrots in the last 5 minutes, i don't like them smushy)

Per 1 cup Serving: Calories330 carbs62 fat4 protein15

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

3 medium raw eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    3 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped
    4 small tomato(es), plum, seeded and chopped
    4 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), peeled and chopped
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 tsp table salt, or more to taste
    1/4 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
    9 item(s) dry lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
    1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
    3/4 cup(s) (shredded) part-skim mozzarella cheese

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 425°F.

In roasting pan, combine vegetables and garlic with olive oil. Bake until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Place half of vegetables, salt and pepper, and 1/2 cup water in food processor and process until smooth.

Spoon 1/2 cup of vegetable purée into bottom of a 9 X 13-inch baking dish.

Place three noodles over purée. Top with 1/2 cup of purée, 1/2 of remaining vegetables, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers and then top with remaining 3 noodles, purée and cheese.

Bake until bubbly, about 40 to 45 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.

Sorry, i haven't done the calories for the 2nd one.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Try a meat substitute like seitan, firm tofu or textured vegetable protein. They can be so good. I use TVP as I would ground chicken or crumbled hamburger, and use it in tacos, pasta, and my favorite: Chicken salad. Some TVP, mayo (vegan mayo if you wish), and celery salt is delicious.
    Marinated tofu on the grill is also fabulous. Soak it in honey, mustard, garlic, ginger and a little olive oil for a few hours and grill like a steak.

Another favorite is portobello mushroom hamburgers. Marinate in viniagrette and grill like a burger. Top with basil, roasted peppers.
  • elp1920
    elp1920 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A quick and easy one I like is a grilled vegetable sandwich. If you dont have a grill, I have used a grill pan or just a plain old skillet on the stove.

What is also nice is you can use the vegetables you like if what is in the recipe doesnt work for you.

zucchini, sliced lengthwise about 1/3 inch thick
    portabello musroom (cap or slices)
    red onion, slices into rings (like onion ring style)
    fresh tomato slice
    Bread - ciabatta or crusty rolls or a hearty wheat/grain are best
    salt and pepper (or seasoning salt)
    olive oil

Spread - choose one
    Avocado & lemon or Goat cheese and herb

Lightly brush vegetables with olive oil on both sides and salt and pepper.
    grill over a medium flame (or on med high heat on your stovetop) until cooked but not limp. The squash cooks fast. Do not grill the tomato.
    Toast your bread and add your preferred spread.
    For avocado and lemon I just take an avocado slice and mush it into the bread and sprinkle with lemon juice.
    If i am using goat cheese and herb I spread plain goat cheese on the bread and sprinkle with whatever herbs I have - I like fresh thyme on these.
    Place a slice of tomato on the bottom then layer vegetables and eat!
  • kslindner
    Options
    VegetarianTimes.com - I love this site!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Try and get hold of the Cranks recipe book, or Sarah Brown's veggie cookbook. Packed with great recipes and my staples. You should be able to find both on eBay.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I liked this fried rice recipe a lot. I baked the tofu first and it was really yummy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/fried-rice-with-scallions-edamame-and-tofu-recipe/index.html
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I am so happy to know that there are so many recipe out there. I am going to use meatless substitutes in more of my cooking. I've tried making tofu the other night, but it came out so lame and with no flavor. Hopefully, now I will get to savor delicious, healthy dishes without compromising taste!
  • pariskelly
    pariskelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My whole family is vegetarian. Here's my cooking blog:

http://peppertree.wordpress.com/
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Made this yesterday: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/25-minute-tunisian-vegetable-couscous/detail.aspx

Yummy! Although it took a little more than 25 minutes with all the chopping involved!
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    bump
  • knitsteve
    Options
    I just added a veggie recipe to the database: Homemade Cheese & Potato Pie :wink:
  • er1nya
    Options
    Last night for dinner I used an eggplant that I got from the farmer's market-

sliced the eggplant into round pieces, coated with an egg and a little bit of seasoned panko bread crumbs (garlic, basil, salt, etc). baked them at 375 for 15 minuets on each side on a baking sheet, then filled an oven safe dish with some tomato sauce and put the eggplant slices on top of it with a bit of fresh mozzarella and baked it at 475 for another 15 minutes!

With the rest of the eggplant I just cooked the slices without breadcrumbs or anything, just a little bit of EVOO and after 30 minutes I transferred them to my food processor with garlic and tomato slices for my take on baba ganoush! It has a consistency like hummus and is really good for sandwiches or as a dip!
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made this for a boat trip this weekend--fantastic!

Mediterranean Pressed Sandwich
    • 1 small eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
    • 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
    • 1 small yellow squash, cut length-wise into 1/4-inch slices
    • 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
    • 1 large loaf ciabatta bread, halved
    • 1/3 cup prepared pesto
    • 1/3 cup prepared tapenade (I made my own)
    • 2 jarred roasted red peppers, sliced
    • 1 8-oz. pkg. fresh mozzarella, drained and sliced
    • 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar

1. Heat grill pan or grill to medium-high heat. Brush eggplant, zucchini, and yellow squash with 2 Tbs. olive oil, and grill 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until charred and softened. Transfer to plate.
    2. Hollow inside of bread to make room for vegetables. Spread pesto on one side of bread. Spread tapenade on other side of bread.
    3. Layer eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella on one side of bread. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Press top and bottom of sandwich together, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place on baking sheet, and weigh down with heavy skillet or two large cans. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Unwrap before slicing and serving.
    6 servings, ea 422 cal 15g protein
  • abouthealth56
    abouthealth56 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    find great recipes on drjoelfuhrman.com and dianastobo.com
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump I have been looking for some new ones too :) Thank you all for sharing!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I would definitely encourage you to find some Vegetarian Times magazines as well as VegNews. Great recipes!

I've become an expert at reconfiguring old favorites by omitting the meat and subbing other ingredients - lentils for ground beef, tofu instead of chicken.

The key to cooking tofu and making it yummy (IMO) is to press it. I prefer Wildwood Sprouted Tofu and usually get the extra firm. I will drain it and slice it into six slices and will lay it on paper towels, cover it with more paper towels and weight it down for at least 20 minutes. Season it WELL - marinating it is even better. My dad is vegan and my stepmom will prep a few blocks of tofu for him, slicing and pressing and then will freeze two slices each in ziploc bags. He will take out bag out in the morning and will add whatever he wants to marinate it in and will stick it in the fridge to thaw and marinate. He (or my stepmom) will cook it that night - usually baking it.

I like to saute mine and I make sure the outsides get crispy. Yum! My 17-yo daughter walked in this morning munching on something and I exclaimed, "IS THAT MY LEFTOVER TOFU???" Yup, it was. :angry: I really can't be mad at her. It is yummy!

There are also a lot of great vegan food blogs out there with excellent recipes. VeganDad is a good one, as is LowFatVegan. I also have Veganomicon, Vegan YumYum, and The Vegan Table. All yummy recipes!
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    If you like Indian food. Google Budget Bytes and look up the curried chickpeas. I LOVE THEM!
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    Hi there! My whole family is vegetarian. Here's my cooking blog:

http://peppertree.wordpress.com/

:love: I wish my entire family was vegetarian. I would be in veggie heaven. My husband and two girls are meat eaters and I hate it so much. I don't tell them that, but deep down, I wish they knew. LOL.
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    I would definitely encourage you to find some Vegetarian Times magazines as well as VegNews. Great recipes!

I've become an expert at reconfiguring old favorites by omitting the meat and subbing other ingredients - lentils for ground beef, tofu instead of chicken.

The key to cooking tofu and making it yummy (IMO) is to press it. I prefer Wildwood Sprouted Tofu and usually get the extra firm. I will drain it and slice it into six slices and will lay it on paper towels, cover it with more paper towels and weight it down for at least 20 minutes. Season it WELL - marinating it is even better. My dad is vegan and my stepmom will prep a few blocks of tofu for him, slicing and pressing and then will freeze two slices each in ziploc bags. He will take out bag out in the morning and will add whatever he wants to marinate it in and will stick it in the fridge to thaw and marinate. He (or my stepmom) will cook it that night - usually baking it.

I like to saute mine and I make sure the outsides get crispy. Yum! My 17-yo daughter walked in this morning munching on something and I exclaimed, "IS THAT MY LEFTOVER TOFU???" Yup, it was. :angry: I really can't be mad at her. It is yummy!

There are also a lot of great vegan food blogs out there with excellent recipes. VeganDad is a good one, as is LowFatVegan. I also have Veganomicon, Vegan YumYum, and The Vegan Table. All yummy recipes!

I bought tofu today and I am following your advice. Cross your fingers for me. Today, I make tofu miracle!!!:tongue: