Benefits of green tea?

Options
kbk1335
kbk1335 Posts: 67 Member
I watched this video of a girl who really breaks down “speeding up your metabolism” and that there's no such pills or foods that can do this. So I really wanna know if green tea does or doesn’t aid weight loss? Also, does it significantly add to water weight? I drink 3-6 cups a day

Replies

• dblair27
    dblair27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Green tea does nothing for weight loss. Neither food or beverage does speed up metabolism. Only being in a calorie deficit does. I do drink tons of green tea because I like the taste. That's all.

I would say that drinking green tea does, in fact, aid weight loss. It is healthy and hydrating, and it also tends to suppress appetite. Does it truly 'speed up' your metabolism? No, but it is full of antioxidants and will certainly help you meet your goals in other ways.
  • Samtyldesley58
    Samtyldesley58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have also taken up green tea as it helps relax your mind along with peppermint tea, as I have been quite anxious at this moment in time and having problems sleeping so we will see but, we are all each to our own on the teas..
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but one's metabolism is one's metabolism and does not change by drinking green tea, but, as pointed out it
    1. has antioxidants,
    2. can help with hydration, and
    3. tastes good (to many of us).

Point 3 can help some take in more water, which can help cause point 2. However, there are many foods with equal or greater amounts of antioxidants per serving than green tea.

A regular brisk 30 minute walk will do more to rev up one's metabolism than any amount of green tea. So will yard work, housework, and almost any activity that gets you moving. Standing in the kitchen raising your arms up and down for five minutes will do more for one's metabolism than drinking a cup of green tea. However, raising and lowering arms for five minutes while drinking green tea might provide anecdotal evidence that green tea increase the metabolism.

I'm not against green tea - I like it and drink it regularly. It can play a part, but very small part, in a person's health if taken in moderation, in place of unhealthy drinks, and with other healthy foods and exercise/work. But, to depend on any single aspect of food or exercise is not wise.
    EAT LESS
    EAT BETTER
    MOVE MORE

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I prefer black to green tea and really fon't think it makes a difference.

I just drink black coffee and plain tea as n appetite suppressant and they work as that for me

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kbk1335 wrote: »
    I watched this video of a girl who really breaks down “speeding up your metabolism” and that there's no such pills or foods that can do this. So I really wanna know if green tea does or doesn’t aid weight loss? Also, does it significantly add to water weight? I drink 3-6 cups a day

It does nothing for weight loss. It is a good source of antioxidants, and it's tasty, but that's about it. It wouldn't have anything to do with water weight...water weight fluctuates naturally on it's own.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i have heard good things about green tea. maybe it will make you feel fuller
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have also taken up green tea as it helps relax your mind along with peppermint tea, as I have been quite anxious at this moment in time and having problems sleeping so we will see but, we are all each to our own on the teas..

Be aware that green tea does contain caffeine though. I also have anxiety and insomnia and can not drink green tea
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options

Be aware that green tea does contain caffeine though. I also have anxiety and insomnia and can not drink green tea

This! Though if you are like me then caffeine might calm you down and give you a fab night rest :D
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    There's been some conflicting research on this question but, even when studies have shown increased metabolism, the effect was very small. Now, I don't have the expertise to evaluate the research but I do know there are enough other good reasons to drink green tea that I drink it daily. If it happens to burn an extra calorie or five, that's great, but I'm not counting on it.