Jump rope

Does anyone have suggestions/tips for a new jump roper? I've been watching "the jump rope dude" on YouTube and am super inspired. Any real life stories/tips? 💞

Replies

• JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    I just started jump roping too. Kinda. I just have to find the right rope!

I’m very uncoordinated. I bought a rope on Walmart.com, just received it yesterday. I get maybe two jumps in before I trip up. I read on a site (can’t remember which) that if you are uncoordinated and just starting out, to start with a 1/2 lb weighted rope. So back to walmart.com I went and ordered a weighted one. The site said with light ropes you can’t feel the rope turning around you, so it’s hard to coordinate the jumps with the spins, where the weighted one will alleviate that problem or something like that.

Also, the length of the rope you need depends on your height. The first rope I bought is too long for my height. I need an 8 foot length whereas my first rope is a 10 footer.

Hope this helps.

• LockdownLoser23
    LockdownLoser23 Posts: 93 Member
    Let the hands lead - many people focus on the feet. Get the rope speed going and feet will follow. That is best advice I can give. Good luck ; )
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    I have a crossrope and the metal ropes with the ball bearing are so easy. I've barely tripped. The cheapo plastics, ok they'll work. So will one from the dollar store. But it gets tangled whereas the metal ones won't. It swings around your body nicely and keeps that "frame" outside that doesn't interrupt your jump if this helps a lot. You can get a cheaper metal jumprope on amazon or ebay, I've seen them for like $12.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Does anyone have suggestions/tips for a new jump roper? I've been watching "the jump rope dude" on YouTube and am super inspired. Any real life stories/tips?

Practice. More the better! I think counting helps, get a consistent pace, knees slightly bent..and only move your wrists to swing the rope
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Anyone have experience with "ropeless" jump ropes? pa6hywbsfpl6.jpg
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I decided when my son was remote learning that we'd try jump rope for "gym" class. Wow. It's hard work!!!! I also found it hard on my shoulder which is almost a year out of surgery

But such a good workout!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Jump rope is amazing but intense. When I first started out I used an interval timer. 60 seconds jumping 30 second break.

Make sure you get a rubber mat or jump on wood flooring.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    I’ve finally gotten to a point where I can jump 100 times! Yay for mini goals!!
    After two years of trying I have only ever gotten three double unders!! Next mini goal for me!
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    The coolest part of jump rope? You don't need a rope.

I know, I prefer to do it with one. But think about it...you really don't.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    The Phoenix movement on YT has great jump rope workouts
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 155 Member
    When I was a super fit triathlete I jumped rope with my friend's daughter. I thought I was going to die. What a workout!
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Just be careful as always. I injured my Achilles tendons jumping rope. Pretty sure it was just because I weighed over 250lbs but just figured I'd give the warning.
  • Irfan_Ali
    Irfan_Ali Posts: 13 Member
    I love skipping and have incorporated it into my 3 X week workouts, I always end with what I call the jump rope finisher where I try to get 1000 jumps in 10 mins, without stopping, so far I've managed it once but I do get in the 900's every time so I'm getting there