Weight watchers.

Options
Anyone been?
Any good?

My mum is trying to make me go with her but I don't fancy it.
Don't want to stand up in front of people and talk about myself :S

xx

Replies

• xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi

Yes weight watchers is good but am finding MFP quicker.

I lost 28-30lbs in just under 6 months and here i have lost 36 in four!

It is good though - you maybe nervous the first time as you have to get on the scale but no one else can see - only the person weighing you. Its nice to get the little filofax thing they give you and tips etc. They also sell their snacks there sometimes too.

You dont have to stand infront of people though! Well in my one you didnt! You get weighed weekly and then sit down and the speaker talks for half an hour and involves you and if you want to talk about something then you can but its really volantary. At first I would just go along and listen but then i became more vocal!

Try it! x
  • starr68
    starr68 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can also do weight watchers online. You have access to all the data bases, food calculators , excercise calculators, recipes etc plus they have message boards like these as well. Weight watchers does work and you can be successful. I personally prefer this site, but I think it is all preference. Good luck in your journey!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers a few years ago. I lost around 40lbs on it. We didn't have to stand up and speak about ourselves either, we weighed in in a way that nobody else could see the scales and then sat and listened to the leader speak. I enjoyed going and would certainly go to a weight loss group again if I could find one.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    WW meetings are great for support and accountability. IF you know you are weighing in and having it noted somewhere - you are more likely to keep on track all week.

The actual program is not all that different then MFP. A bit, but not a lot. They are all about calories in, calories out too - but point based (which is really calories with a small calculation for fiber and fat). The new program also gives more pts to processed foods - which is great - focuses you on eating good, whole foods when possible.
  • Chipperoo23
    Options
    You don't stand up and talk about yourself at WW--unless you want to share something. I lost a lot of weight both on MFP and at WW. They both work well. It's all a matter of preference. What I like about WW is that every week I heard about a new healthy food that someone else had tried, not necessarily WW brand. It kept things fresh and kept me from boring my taste buds.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like WW. I started 14 weeks ago and have lost 40 lbs. I'm also using MFP. At WW, your weight is private. The only people who will know your weight are you and the WW staff who do your weigh in. They never say your weight out loud. You don't have to say anything at all during the meetings. They're very good about not calling people out. It's a nice community of people and it's quite inspiring. There are people there who have lost A LOT of weight. I like the meetings because it's 30 min a week that I can get my head really focused on my journey. HTH.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If your mom drags you to weight watchers, it won't be a bad thing. I've done it and lost a lot of weight. I was just about to join the on-line community, even though I really didn't think it would work nearly as well because what I need is the accountability!... then I found this site and this is so much better than WW. WW needs a calculator to decide if you WANT to eat something... because you need to calculate the calories, fat, fiber, carbs, etc. (I'm not sure what the new program calculates because I went there 10 years ago) to find out how many points... eventually you know by looking, but the first couple of months I spent HOURS in the grocery store because if the points were not printed right on the label I had to break out the calculator... then, disappointment when I got home because the portion size for 3 points was so miniscule that I ended up not eating it anyway!

What I'm not saying very well here is, WW is a good tool, but I've found that MFP is a much better tool. But don't be too mad at your mom... she's doing what is right for her... introduce her to a FREE online site (here, here!) and she may change her mind after a few weeks of WW.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I tried weight watchers last year. I calculated how many calories I was eating from the points she put me on (think it was about 18) and it equalled to the same amount of calories as MFP. So I was basically paying £20 a month to eat the same as I am now.

Also, I found myself spending a helluva lot of money on weight watchers products, just because I found it easier when it came to counting points.

However, the meetings were great for support and motivation and I learnt a few nice recipes from it!
  • M155AUS
    M155AUS Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tried WW and lost about 28lbs through diet only but put it all back on pretty quickly. I agree with the previous post about trying to find points out etc and I ended up in a rutt of foods. With MFP it encourages exercise as well a lot more. I try not to eat what I earn through exercise, but it's good to know I can if I want.

I did the 'old' version of WW to lose weight and found that I was putting on weight with the new plan (when I started to go back) and so stopped, I just prefer this site so much more. I don't have to worry about 'points' and you can tell instantly what the calories are from food.

You don't have to stand up and talk about yourself and they are very good at keeping your weight quiet, but I just went in, weighed and left, so I was paying to stand on some scales, so I did it on line and bought my own scales in the end. Some people do make good friends there though and I think with everything, it's for some and not for others.
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help everyone :)
    I might go to the first one, see what it's like then if I don't like it I don't have to go back.
    I really like it here and I just think this will be better for me :)

xx <3
  • danimoon67
    danimoon67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 90 some pounds with WW, I got tired of calculating points, so I started tracking on MFP.

I still go to my WW meetings for support and the accountability of weighing in. Sharing local restaurant and grocery finds is great, also having local support is fun.

For me, the accountability of the scale at WW is a big incentive and has helped me stay on plan for over 18 months.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If your mom drags you to weight watchers, it won't be a bad thing. I've done it and lost a lot of weight. I was just about to join the on-line community, even though I really didn't think it would work nearly as well because what I need is the accountability!... then I found this site and this is so much better than WW. WW needs a calculator to decide if you WANT to eat something... because you need to calculate the calories, fat, fiber, carbs, etc. (I'm not sure what the new program calculates because I went there 10 years ago) to find out how many points... eventually you know by looking, but the first couple of months I spent HOURS in the grocery store because if the points were not printed right on the label I had to break out the calculator... then, disappointment when I got home because the portion size for 3 points was so miniscule that I ended up not eating it anyway!

What I'm not saying very well here is, WW is a good tool, but I've found that MFP is a much better tool. But don't be too mad at your mom... she's doing what is right for her... introduce her to a FREE online site (here, here!) and she may change her mind after a few weeks of WW.

I could have written this! Just want to add, I had just started WW again for the 3rd or 4th time when I discovered MFP. I missed meetings now and then and STILL had to pay the $12 so I really couldn't afford to waste that $$ anymore.

Also, the "activity points" on WW are sort of like the calories burned here at MFP.

One more thing, if you go on the WW message boards for America, stay off the General Daily Thread.:noway:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    10773174.png

You want to eat smart, not stop eating. Your ticker is a little frightening. :frown:
  • ElleC
    ElleC Posts: 37
    Options
    WW worked for me but.....

I did weight watchers a few years ago and combined with exercise, I lost 40lbs. It's all back on now though. WW takes a whole bunch of dedication. I found the calculating of points tiresome and whilst the accountability factor is good.....being accountable to yourself is way more important. I hit my goal weight and stopped going. Stopped being accountable to my WW leader, and cheated on myself!

MFP seems easier. I have been doing it for a week and find it very suitable for the weird and long working hours I keep. AND, I can AFFORD to buy better foods because I'm saving on the meeting fees :)