Smart Kitchen Scales

nblagrove
nblagrove Posts: 2 Member
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any
smart kitchen scales that synch with MFP? I weigh everything and log it all - just thought it would be handy if there were any scales that could synch all the info for me?

Thanks,

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,358 Member
    Don't know, but please make it so.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    I would totally buy that if it existed.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,868 Member
    How would that work? The weighing surface would somehow need to know what product is on it. Maybe a scale that links to the phone, which inputs the data into the diary. Not sure. Then you'd probably need to press a button to synch for each item. I don't think that saves a lot of time.
  • cmriverside
    edited June 2020
    yirara wrote: »
    How would that work? The weighing surface would somehow need to know what product is on it. Maybe a scale that links to the phone, which inputs the data into the diary. Not sure. Then you'd probably need to press a button to synch for each item. I don't think that saves a lot of time.

It could have a product scanner that links to MFP like a fitness device.

It's conceivable, but then you still run into the problem of the MFP food database. Unless and until MFP makes a SEPARATE database that only has official data, any food devices would be at the mercy of the very flawed system we now have.

HOW HARD would it be to break out the USDA entries into a separate list? How hard?

*oops* soapbox now returned to under the bed...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,868 Member

It's conceivable, but then you still run into the problem of the MFP food database. Unless and until MFP makes a SEPARATE database that only has official data, any food devices would be at the mercy of the very flawed system we now have.

HOW HARD would it be to break out the USDA entries into a separate list? How hard?

The problem with the product scanner is that you'd not really gain anything from that. Put the packaging on the scale to scan the product code, unpack and use the amount you want. And what about products that don't have a code, like fruits or veg, everything from a butchers or fish shop, etc?
  • cmriverside

The problem with the product scanner is that you'd not really gain anything from that. Put the packaging on the scale to scan the product code, unpack and use the amount you want. And what about products that don't have a code, like fruits or veg, everything from a butchers or fish shop, etc?

I don't have an answer.

Honestly I don't/wouldn't use a scanner or a smart scale.

People also ask for things like a refrigerator scanner that will create a shopping list and they want to link that to MFP.

I'm no product developer, but I know people will work themselves to death to keep from working. So someone will come up with these things, regardless of whether or not they work or are even actually helping :lol:

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    edited June 2020

Since it's a smart scale, I'm envisioning something that pairs up with your phone (via bluetooth perhaps) where you type it the food, reads the weight from the scale, then sends it off to MFP.
    *edit* yeah, it's probably not gonna be worth it like that, but it needs some sort of keyboard or maybe voice command?
  • nblagrove
    nblagrove Posts: 2 Member
    They do exist, it's just that the only ones I can find link to their own apps rather than MFP. So, yes, you tell the scales what they're weighing and it'll give you the nutritional values, add them up etc just like MFP. Anyway, thanks all. I'll keep looking. Or just stop looking for a shortcut!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    What I do: I have a scale in the kitchen and also a dry erase note board on the side of the fridge. I prelog estimates of quantities. As I'm making a recipe or putting foods on my plate, I make notes of the actual weights on the noteboard. Take a picture of the board w/ my phone and later adjust the quantities.