Help with Meal Planning

Options
Hello!

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for meal planning? I’m having trouble creating a meal plan that sticks to my calorie budget (1400 cal/day) and that is in my grocery budget as well.

Any sort of feedback helps!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Up until now, what have doing for meal planning? Did you just eat foods you like without counting your calorie intake?
  • Bandiiit31
    Bandiiit31 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Up until now, what have doing for meal planning? Did you just eat foods you like without counting your calorie intake?

To be honest up until now I just made whatever I had on hand and tried to make it healthier (less oil, butter, cream, more vegetables, etc). I’m just starting in with calorie counting and have noticed that even with the healthier choices, it’s still over budget.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    One thing you could consider would be this "gradually remodel your eating" approach, based on reviewing your MFP food diary, and tweaking it as you go along:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Weekly I made this. I eat it with rice and a veggie, in a wrap with lettuce, sauce of some sort, cheese, or on a salad.
    https://yellowblissroad.com/the-best-stovetop-chicken-breast/

Best rice. I reduce the butter on this one.
    https://food.com/recipe/garlic-butter-rice-240456?soc=socialsharingpinterest

Having some good garlic butter (weight it to not over do the calories) helps me eat more sauteed zucchini or steamed broccoli.

I also use my crockpot once a week usually for chili or a rump roast.

I only "cook" every other or every 3rd day as I eat leftovers.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can aim toward cheaper forms of protein like beans and cheaper veg like cabbage. Also, search for recipes and meal plans using the word "frugal." If you google "frugal meal plans" you'll find lots of great links.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what foods you like/dislike or if you have any dietary preferences/restrictions...some generic tips:

-Continue to eat the foods that you like...just in portions or variations that fit into your calorie goal.
    -Bulk up meals with vegetables that add volume without adding a lot of calories.
    -Be aware of the "extras" in your meals that can add up...like sauces, condiments, cooking oils, and butter.
    -If you have the storage space, buying in bulk can save some money. Things like meats, frozen vegetables, beans, and rice are generally cheaper if you buy them in bulk.
    -You can also save money and time by batch-cooking a dish that you can have over several meals, like casseroles or stews.
    -Plan ahead: make a detailed menu for the week and use that to make a grocery list. If you have a plan, you won't end up buying food you don't need/can't use.
    -Think about how you can use one grocery item to make several dishes...I can make several very different meals from one chicken.
    -Keep it simple: Unless you really love cooking and have a lot of time on your hands, it can be exhausting to plan and cook 3 or more meals a day, 7 days a week. Keep some of your meals easy...there's nothing wrong with yogurt for breakfast or a sandwich for dinner a few nights a week if you need a break from planning and cooking.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use this website for great budget friendly recipes: www.budgetbytes.com

I've yet to make anything that I didn't enjoy, especially the oatmeal bakes.
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Frugal to me is shopping around. As in, why pay 3.49 for the same thing I can buy at the dollar store for a buck? Meal planning can be more of finding substitutions for things you like that don't quite fit in right now such as swapping chips for popcorn or Jiff PB for an all natural PB. I say this because as you figure out the calorie/portion/am I meeting my macros thing you'll find that the natural PB for instance is 1-2$ less than Jiff lol. So it helps on the grocery bill too.
    Keep your foods balanced and don't annihilate your brain trying to cope with the calorie thing. I had the same trouble at first as in "ok I haven't met my protein goal so I'll do this but oh look I'm over in calories". It took me a good 4 weeks to put calories and high nutrition together so hang in there.
    Plan a day for shopping, buy a book, read articles on why certain foods are good for you. Read labels at grocery store. Start w/recommended portion size, log it and tweak from there by adding more or rethinking the brand/type you buy next time. The more you do it, the less work it becomes.
    I don't do oats and bananas. Just thought I'd mention that. 😏