Sick, should I still log what I eat?

Options
jilsou15
jilsou15 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I was intensely sick yesterday, unable to keep down the first and only meal I was able to eat yesterday. I managed to eat some broth with crackers in the late evening. Today I’m feeling better but really raw! My husband doesn’t want me to bother with logging my food so I don’t worry about what I’m eating or not eating. I’m not sure if I should log today or just take a break. I don’t think I can eat anything heavy or dense and right now that’s what’s helping me meet my macros and calories. I’m more concerned of not meeting my calorie goal than going off the wagon with tons of unhealthy foods as I don’t think I’ll be able to really eat today. What are your opinions?

Replies

• Enna10
    Enna10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself! Give yourself a day off and return to logging tomorrow. A day or two is not going to make much if any difference overall
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just log a couple items to keep your streak going, then take a day off. Eat light but something that satisfies you. This app doesn't appear to be going anywhere. It will be here tomorrow.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I log what I eat when I'm sick, but I give myself kindness in letting myself be under my calorie goal (if I feel not hungry) or over (if I want to eat something more calorie dense). I only log because I like to have the data later.

Unless there is relevant data you're not sharing (that is, not meeting your calorie needs for a day or two may complicate medical issues, your husband has genuine fears that you aren't meeting enough most of the time), there's no reason to be concerned that being under for a day or two will be a real issue. Chances are your appetite will be right back to normal as soon as you recover.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I log my food when I'm sick (lately it's been changing my diet due to dental work/TMJ issues) just because soft foods can be very calorie dense, and I want to keep an eye on it. But I don't beat myself up if I wind up 100 calories over, and I don't get worried if I'm 50 calories under. I just want to sort of keep it "around" the limit even when I'm limited to pudding and peanut butter.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Don't break the streak! 😱
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't bother. I would just eat what I felt I needed for a day or two and not worry about it.

Of course of it was an ongoing issue it might start to cause problems, but if it went on for more than a few days you would need to go the Dr anyway.
  • rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't bother. I would just eat what I felt I needed for a day or two and not worry about it.

Of course of it was an ongoing issue it might start to cause problems, but if it went on for more than a few days you would need to go the Dr anyway.

This^

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I’m going to give the unpopular opinion and say continue to log, BUT, don’t even think about total calories or macros.
    Just keep in the habit.
    If you are better one day and worse the next, you can look at what you ate and try to figure out if that had anything to
    Do with it. Maybe eat more like the day you felt better and less like you did the day you felt worse.

Feel better soon!
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When you’re sick your body needs to be eating at least at maintenance to recover quickly, eating below adds stress to the body which you want to limit while you’re ill.
    When I’m sick I take a couple of days off logging and eat what I feel my body needs, be that a nice bowl of soup or broth with some bread to warm the body or some chocolate to give myself some energy. Just be sure not to take advantage and indulge on a tub of Ben and Jerry’s or anything silly like that.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Don't break the streak! 😱

your streak continues just by logging on - you don't need to log your food.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I was sick Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I logged my food as usual even though Wednesday was a couple spoons of plain rice
    I also kept to my usual weighing routine, I was down 5lb by Thursday morning so knew I was getting dehydrated so focused on getting in more liquids (been hospitalised numerous times for dehydration)