Achievable Early Goals

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited June 2020 in Motivation and Support
I'm really struggling to think of short-term, measurable goals that aren't just about showing up. It can be fitness too. I can see mid- and end-point goals, but not really anything that I can aim for in say 2-4 weeks or so.

I've been in isolation (with my immediate family) since early March, and I'm just not finding the zip, the will, the oomph, etc. I make some consistent changes for ~7-10 days (& have pretty habit trackers to show for it), and then spend 3 weeks laying around, overeating, and very disappointed in myself.

This is a redux, I lost ~50lbs from my highest weight around this time 2 years ago. Since then I've gained back ~20, re-gaining and losing ~10. Things that really helped me were: being physically busy and active, taking care of my body so I could fulfil those activities, being around people, having someone to be regularly accountable to (usually a physiotherapist or other 'authority' figure), etc. Basically things I'm not doing in quarantine.

If anyone has some goal setting or habit-making ideas to share, I'd really appreciate it. I hope everyone is doing well & being safe as things start to re-open in various places!

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I've been in isolation (with my immediate family) since early March, and I'm just not finding the zip, the will, the oomph, etc. I make some consistent changes for ~7-10 days (& have pretty habit trackers to show for it), and then spend 3 weeks laying around, overeating, and very disappointed in myself

This is me! Except in my case I’m just with my husband. I wish I had good suggestions so if anyone comes along with some I’ll be interested. A big part of the problem is that I am so bored and it feels like there’s nothing fun to do except eat.

If you are interested in an accountability partner let me know. Maybe we could each set a goal and do some sort of regular checking in.

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I've been in isolation (with my immediate family) since early March, and I'm just not finding the zip, the will, the oomph, etc. I make some consistent changes for ~7-10 days (& have pretty habit trackers to show for it), and then spend 3 weeks laying around, overeating, and very disappointed in myself

This is me! Except in my case I’m just with my husband. I wish I had good suggestions so if anyone comes along with some I’ll be interested. A big part of the problem is that I am so bored and it feels like there’s nothing fun to do except eat.

If you are interested in an accountability partner let me know. Maybe we could each set a goal and do some sort of regular checking in.

Yeah, like I'm definitely struggling to do "fun" things too :# . Sure, feel free to add me if you like.
  • missyelainious
    missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
    First time around I fell into the trap “perfection is the enemy of the good.” And had an all or nothing attitude. This time instead of carving out an hour or more for a “real” workout, I walk before breakfast and try to do a short jump rope or weight session during the day or after work. Even if it’s just 2 planks I feel accomplished!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    It's going to depend on your personal starting point, but some possible easier goals:
    - logging everything you eat and drink energy day
    - staying under (but close to) your calorie goal consistently (if that's too hard to start with, staying under your maintenance calories consistently)
    - reaching a certain step count every day (which you can increase with time)
    - (building up to) doing x (modified) push-ups every day (or another exercise)