Losing weight on antidepressants

Options
Hi!!! I’ve been logging my food for the last 3 weeks! I have been exercising at least 3x per week since January. However I can’t get any weight off:( I’m wondering if anyone else is on antidepressants and having the same problem? Or any tips???

Replies

• Catlessi41
    Catlessi41 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Focus on other goals than weight such as a race or start measuring yourself rather than using a scale. You might be losing inches rather than pounds right now. :)
  • robw1974
    robw1974 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Worse than antidepressants perhaps, I take antipsychotics and mood stabilizers both of which are known for weight gain.. Still I'm at about 15 pounds lost since december and between march and early june i did nothing (weight stayed the same.. Right now it's coming off quicker, i'm aiming to be UNDER my calorie goal when possible and TRYING not to eat back my exercise calories while the last 8 days i got 10,000 steps/day
  • jeanekl
    jeanekl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I’ve been logging my food for the last 3 weeks! I have been exercising at least 3x per week since January. However I can’t get any weight off:( I’m wondering if anyone else is on antidepressants and having the same problem? Or any tips???

Hi! Don't worry about the weight right now. Weight gain during using antidepressant medications like TCA or SSRI are possible by uprising the appetite. I would recommend you checking caloric intake up as well the introduction of some daily acitivites daily like making over 10k steps a day as a healthy habit and as an addition to your three workouts per week.

And as meowsana wrote, checking the measurements of inches may be the better idea than checking weight.

Good luck and don't give up! :heart:
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,369 Member
    Options
    The meds may make it harder simply because they make you a bit lethargic and increase your appetite a bit, but I haven't found it to be a barrier to weight loss as long as I'm burning more calories in a day than I eat. If you aren't losing you may need to tighten up you logging and maybe only eat back a portion of you exercise calories. MFP is notorious for over estimating calories for exercise. Best of luck.
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs in a year on Paxil. Learned that it happened to several other ppl as well. Talk to your doctor and see if you can switch to another medicine. I still have those 50 lbs on me years later. Easy to put on, difficult to take off. I am on a different medication now which has no effect on weight. Please talk to your Dr and switch if you can. I met a lady that gained a 100 lbs on Paxil. There are other meds that can help.
  • Jana_2020
    Jana_2020 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I should note that I ate less than I usually did as I noticed the gaining and still kept putting on weight. I'm sorry I didn't go to my Dr sooner. When I finally went to him and asked him, he said well you weren't overweight and shouldn't have had a problem. I responded that well, I have a problem now!