Potassium

Options
ajl80
ajl80 Posts: 2 Member
Hi, I'm an extremely fussy eater and since using the app, I've come to realise that I eat next to no potassium. Googling some items, I tried orange juice and raw shelled peanuts, but after entering in the data, it still says no potassium. Both these foods on various dieting boards state they do have potassium (200-500) per serve. Bananas are a no go for me, as are green vegies. Please help!

Replies

• myfp67
    myfp67 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In the UK, sodium is listed on labels in the form of salt but potassium isn't usually listed.

I'd agree with the above poster who says that entries are often wrong. Even some of the ones with a green tick against them are incorrect.

I tend to be creating my own database of foods viewable only to myself so I know that they are correct.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I don't have the source - but read a while back that because potassium reporting is not required on food labels, it tends to be left off of many labels. So you may be getting more than you think. Do you have any reason to believe you're deficient in potassium?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If you are only concerned because the app is complaining about low potassium, you really don't need to sweat it, but do discuss with your doctor if you'd like to be tested for a deficiency.

If you have a confirmed medical reason to be concerned about potassium, make sure that when possible you use entries that MFP took from the USDA database and when not possible verify every entry you use against the label.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA changed the platform for their database in 2019 and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. I uncheck everything but SR Legacy - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • ajl80
    ajl80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've always just eaten takeaway foods, so I've never known what I'm lacking in nutrients, I was just concerned about that green tick, but I'll rest easy now.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It is more likely that your potassium figures being low is a product of gaps in the database. Potassium numbers aren't required to be on labels so don't end up in the database. There are lots of false zeroes.
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Edamame, nuts, avocado, spinach, mushrooms, tuna, whole grain & seeded bread and general legumes are rich in potassium, iron and/or magnesium. From what I understand, because I track micronutrients a lot for my own reasons, sodium/potassium/magnesium all work together as your body's electrolyte process. Together, they prevent your muscles from cramping or wearing out on ya. Potassium here helps flush excess sodium through urine. Most folks don't get enough potassium but plenty of sodium. It's worth including in your diet. But as some folks have said, talk to your doc if you suspect a culprit. I say this because those with kidney failure will need to medically montior their potassium and magnesium in take.
  • vmmulligan2
    vmmulligan2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just read your comment, very interesting, same as others have said am aware of low P intake, was taking magnesium suppliments to aid sleep, the association you made to the kidneys has me concerned now as I have a history of kidney probs, and elevated liver function results that 4 years on they cannot pin point why. A minefield we are eh 😉
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    MFP is not a great place to get a reliable potassium number, but it's also easy to be low on potassium. If you eat lots of whole foods with lots of vegs too, you are probably fine, however.