Race etiquette

Options
I'm thinking of signing up for a 2 mile fun run on Saturday. I've been working on run/walk intervals, so I think this could be a good challenge and motivator for me. It would be my first race, though.

Any etiquette guidelines I should know about? No headphones, right? What else?

Cici

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Start queuing for the toilet an hour before the race! Start at a realistic point in the pack for your pace. Say thanks to the marshals as you pass.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    When you pass someone call the side you are coming up on. Like if you are going to pass on a person’s left, say, “on the left” before you go by. It lets them know you are there.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    When you stop for a walk, go to the side of the course before you slow down and make sure nobody's behind you who will crash into you. :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm slow so I try to stay to the sides so the quicker ones can pass me easily. A lot of people wear headphones, you just need to keep the volume low enough you can hear those around you. I used to think the no headphones was a hard and fast rule - imagine my surprise at my first 1/2 marathon where virtually EVERYONE was wearing them!! So hard for me to run without my music!
  • shannonichole
    Options
    No headphones? I always thing that headphones get me jazzed up to run. :ohwell:
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Dont start the race up front. If you need to stop, dont just stop in the middle of the road where you are running, look over your shoulder and move off to the side out of the way. If there is a water table, again same rules for stopping. Some races specify no headphones, but many people still where them. I dont usually because I like to hear the crowds and just enjoy the surroundings.
    Have FUN!!!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I feel so naive!! I didn't realise there was such a thing as race etiquetter! And given what everyone's posted, its all little things that make sense. Excuse my ignorance, but I'm a novice runner, literally just beginning, so this is all useful. Thank you
  • Cici2329
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

I'm nervous enough about being wimpy during the run, I don't want to be annoying to others. :)

Cici
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    just run your race, not sure why you cant use headphones, I use one earbud in and one out so I can hear people. You will have enough pre race jitters to worry about making anyone in the race unhappy, just have fun and accomplish your goals!
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Look behind you before you spit (I've almost gotten splattered a time or two).

Have fun and enjoy it-- it'll fly by!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do double check the race rules for headphones. I've known people run a personal best but get a DNF (did not finish) on their results as they wore them when they were prohibited for that particular race!